Debt Rattle May 7 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle May 7 2018

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

John French Sloan Sunday, Women Drying Their Hair 1912   • Behold The Sudden Stop. Risk of Emerging Markets Collapse (Lacalle) • Dollar Surge Bri
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle May 7 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Emmanuel Macron is France’s Trump.
    Labor has no choice but to hold out for their demands of 5.1% raise, this year!
    If they don’t do that they’re as good as dead; better the airline goes down than to give in.
    Marx was correct regarding labor in a capitalist system…

Marx in the section on “Estranged Labour” distinguished four
    aspects of alienated labor: alienation from the product of one’s labor, from the labor process or one’s activity
    of laboring, from one’s “species being” or essential human nature, and from other human beings as a result
    of the character of one’s work life.

To be clear; I haven’t read that work, but like this quote.

V. Arnold
    Participant

John French Sloan Sunday, Women Drying Their Hair 1912
    Not at all familiar with John French Sloan; but I like his painting, Sunday, Women Drying Their Hair.

I didn’t know him either until recently. Maybe I like the one I posted 2 weeks ago a bit better. He’s about the bright side of New York.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Oh right; I remember and I agree; a bit better.
    I had forgotten that completely. 😉

zerosum
    Participant

Thank you Raúl Ilargi Meijer for the articles.
    My interpretation of what the articles are revealing.

While the world has been distracted and enjoying watching Trump do his reality dance …

A undeclared war is hapening all around the world.
    It called Modern Warfare.
    There are many enforcement mechanisms.
    The USA does not need to invade a country with guns and soldiers to steal their wealth.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-emerging-debt-analysis/dollar-surge-bringing-emerging-market-rate-cut-cycle-to-a-halt-idUSKBN1I80FD

A resurgent dollar and higher borrowing costs are smashing through Argentina and Turkey’s currencies like a wrecking ball and raising the likelihood more broadly that emerging markets’ three-year long interest rate cutting cycle is at an end.

WTF Just Happened to Argentina’s Peso?

The interest rate currently sits at 40%. That means the Central Bank pays 40% per year on peso-denominated debt, which can imply that they expect the value of the peso to fall somewhere in the ballpark of 40% over a one year period. A year ago in April, the rate was closer to 26%. Yikes.
    And the exchange rate kicked off the week at around 20.5 ARS/USD. It jumped almost to 23 ARS/USD, and is currently hovering around 21.8 ARS/USD.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-conocophillips-pdvsa-assets/conoco-moves-to-take-over-venezuelan-pdvsas-caribbean-assets-sources-idUSKBN1I70RA

The Latin American country is in the grip of a deep recession with severe shortages of medicine and food as well as a growing exodus of its people.

Dr. D
    Participant

How on earth does the FBI of J. Edgar Hoover, (that was 1924-1971 … he got a special extension) have a reputation to uphold? At all? This is the FBI that told MLK to kill himself. This is the FBI that kept lists and locked up protestors, and investigated Quakers for war crimes after 9-11. These are the guys who DIDN’T investigate several leads on 911 and incidentally almost every other mass violence we’ve had in the last 20 years, including Parkland and San Bernardino. This is the FBI that was reported to have doctored forensic lab evidence on demand for decades and was listed by the no less than the New York Times to have fabricated or aided 90% of the people arrested for domestic terrorism. Who but a packet of sycophants and bootlicking toadies could possibly, possibly think that the FBI has any — ANY — reputation at all?

And yet, reality never matters. Never, ever doing your job, always, always beng caught in political vendettas and power blackmail for 100 continuous years means nothing, has no effect.

Yeah, down here on the street we’re super worried about tarnishing the FBI’s stellar reputation for honesty and restraint. Cause if I complain they’ll illegally wiretap me, fabricate evidence, and frame me as a terrorist when I’m a Quaker, then threaten to arrest my family if I don’t plead guilty without trial. …Proof in their own records, and 1st tier newspaper reports. But why bother with published truth when we have an “authority”? j/k Love you guys; don’t arrest me. Life on the line for a job 1/10th as dangerous as being a roofer and 5x the pay. True American heroes.

anticlimactic
    Participant

MUELLER

Mueller has spent over a year trying to find Russian collusion and found nothing.

IF he had been doing the same with Israel then almost everything that Russia has been accused of would be true for Israel!

zerosum
    Participant

@ anticlimactic

WHAT????!!!

I’m not anti Israel ….
    but its so true.
    That means that the pot is black
    but, but but the same rule cannot apply to “friends”

Dr. D
    Participant

Speaking of, for our foreign readers, the U.S. system was originated to be like this: Congress was supposed to be like a permanently-standing Congressional Convention of Philadelphia in 1776 divided by State and public houses. However, they knew from hard experience that a committee would take a year to settle the bagel order, so the actual daily functions were wrapped in an “Executor”, a “Presider” who would then execute the express will of Congress like Gen. Washington did. So the President works FOR Congress. They give him the rules and can remove him at their pleasure. So the Justice Department works for who? The President, the Executive branch. That branch works for and reports to who? Congress. They’re even a bigger boss than the President. They have subpoena power, hold the purse strings, etc. and can ultimately remove anyone.

So when Congress tells the Justice Department to stop jerking around and provide documents we paid for, we own, and have all authority over, what do they say? “Nah, we don’t feel like it.” And when the President, their direct report, gives orders to them, they…openly conspire and commit I-could-not-image-how-many felonies including sedition to remove him. Because they did not prefer this particular candidate in an election the former President has said was legitimate several times.

And these guys, the NYT, WaPo, are arguing how there is no Deep State. “There is no deep state, [only] a deep … commitment to the rule of law…” –James Comey. Aw! So sweet! You know, no one in there at all who doesn’t immediately snap to and obey their commanding officer, whether they care for him or not. Having nothing to hide, they immediately provide documents for what they were doing and why, both to Congress and the Chief Executor, right? What? No? How can that be? In fact, how do they get away with it? If I worked in a hospital and they asked, “Why did you do this procedure?” and I said, “I can’t tell you,” What do you think would happen? If the Hospital Administration, the HMO lawyer, the patient’s lawyer demanded the records, and I said, “Yeah, you can’t see that.”? “But we paid for it.” “Yeah, about that: I don’t care.” “So you’re hiding something.” “No! No, not at all! Everything was great, totally legal, I have nothing to hide. I’m just never, ever going to tell you what happened regardless of how many subpoenas and court appearances I make.” Would they fire me a minute before arresting me or would they wait that long? I mean before suing me on behalf of 10 civil charges, then charging me with theft, obstruction, tampering, etc railroad my lawyer, and search my home and office without a warrant like they do everybody else around here?

…No, I’m sure they would just keep employing me, ask politely again a year after the first request, and shower me with public accolades about my heroism, honor, and duty. Yeah, that would totally happen at any workplace on earth. You know, where there’s no Deep State total commitment to law, and no incentive to commit sedition by overturning a legally elected official. In fact, I’m going to go not do my job and refuse to turn over proof of any work I’ve done right now – forever. I’m sure they’ll understand. Not that I didn’t flip those burgers, mind you, just that it’s all honorable people always refuse to provide proof of work when they get paid, then are never questioned or fired for it. Especially (or exclusively) when they make six figures with a million dollar pension. This is your Democracy, this is your FBI.

Hey, if you don’t like him, vote him out, bounce the midterms, that’s how it works. If he’s that bad it’ll be super-easy. Not Justice for me and none for you, because the rest of us can lie, steal, and not do our jobs too, and you won’t like it.

“Do you make the same commitment that you will absolutely — sir, that you will absolutely accept the result of this election?” — Hillary Clinton

zerosum
    Participant

If you are an American, Look at what your gov. is doing in your name.
    https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/Programs.aspx

While you are busy being entertained by Trump, look at what dirty trick are being done to ordinary humans.
    The excuses for the dirty trick, sound valid. After all, the sanctions are being announced by a HOLY MAN, Vice President Mike Pence at the Organization of American States at the OAS headquarters in Washington, U.S. May 7, 2018 REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-oas-pence-sanctions/u-s-imposes-sanctions-on-three-venezuelans-under-drug-kingpin-rules-idUSKBN1I81S1

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.