Debt Rattle Sep 15 2014: The Yin and Yang of Growth and Power

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle Sep 15 2014: The Yin and Yang of Growth and Power

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Arthur Rothstein Bathgate Avenue in the Bronx Dec 1936 These are dangerous times. The dangers come from places hardly anybody ever thought to look for
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle Sep 15 2014: The Yin and Yang of Growth and Power]

jal
    Participant

“ … those who have accumulated all that power in their few handfuls of hands, will be extremely reluctant to give up even a few crumbs of it.”

Power means controlling cash/oil flow.

A few questions about I.S.I.S.
    Did I.S.I.S. attack a private well-to-do girl school, kidnap and probable turn those virgin girls into sex slaves to make a claim on the oil revenues? ( Nigeria schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram militants)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria#Economy

Did I.S.I.S. attack villages and kill and mutilated 1,000’s of men women and children for oil revenues.
    https://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=33310&Cr=LRA&Cr1#.VBc8MxxbxCc
    21 December 2009 – In a 10-month rampage of killings, rape and mutilation in neighbouring countries that may constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity, the rebel Ugandan Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), has killed some 1,300 civilians, abducted 1,400 more, including hundreds of children and women, and displaced nearly 300,000 others, the United Nations reported today.
    Uganda has substantial natural resources, including fertile soils, regular rainfall, and sizeable mineral deposits of copper and cobalt. The country has largely untapped reserves of both crude oil and natural gas.

Did I.S.I.S. do something worst to get the western world so upset?
    Yep!
    Its selling oil for $40.00 a barrel when the agreed selling price is closer to $100.00 per barrel? Its destroying the revenue stream of all the other oil producers.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-09-15/petrodollar-panic-eu-officials-admit-buying-oil-isis
    Petrodollar Panic: EU Officials Admit Buying Oil From ISIS

rapier
    Participant

America’s centralizing agenda and model promised and produced extensive stability and ‘growth’ for its partners. However the agenda has become corrupt and the model dysfunctional, or is it the other way around? Never mind for now the growth dead end. Dead end as a concept, an organizing goal and principal and dead or near so functionally.

If America could have done much better, of course it could, it too is as subject to the flaws of humans as any other and so we find ourselves here.

NooBoob
    Participant

Our “green” energy hi-tech future requires:
    ► conflict minerals,
    ► rare earth elements,
    ► heavy metals,
    ► nano metals and graphite.
    Search for “rare earth mining in China” on YouTube and see what special hell your solar panels and wind turbines produce in Mongolia. China can do this because they have undercut all the world’s production of rare earth elements with low wages, low currency and no environmental enforcement. They can do this because they ignore the radioactive thorium that comes with mining high-value, heavy rare earth elements. Rare Earth elements are approaching the limit on their energy return on energy invested. Rare earth elements can’t profitably be mined outside of China without burning low radio-active thorium, the mining by-product commonly found in rocks everywhere.

Graphite is used in all of our so-called “green” powered batteries and is mined in China emitting deadly fine air particles resulting in a lethal smog that washes down from the skies in an ash laden rain that covers crops and water. China recently shut down several graphite mines because of the pervasive smog. Graphene, a nano-material produced for batteries, is water soluble and can cut through human/animal cells. Both graphite dust and graphene are deadly to humans because of their small size. You don’t want to breathe this stuff.

Solar cell manufacturing produces 3 green house gases that are over 10,000 times worse than C02. They require all kinds of deadly liquid acids to manufacture. Solar panels lose efficiency at the rate of 1% per year lasting 20-25 years. The expensive inverters they require have to be replaced every 5 to 10 years up to 4 times or more over the life of the panel. The new thin cell panels use nano materials and are even more toxic with shorter lifespans. It doesn’t matter how “clean” the latest prototype solar panels are because existing manufacturing plants will stay open to recoup major investments. Manufacturing just five wind turbines produces 1 ton of radioactive residue and 75 tons of toxic, acidic water used to leach out the required neodymium. Wind turbines only work at 25% of their rated capacity 90% of the time. Over 2 million children died in the Congo for the conflict minerals green energy needs. Thousands of people die in Chinese mines every year for the minerals green energy needs. Prof. Jian Shuisheng of the Jiatong-University estimates the production of just 6 solar panels requires one ton of coal. Since green power is intermittent, it would take at least 10 times the rated amount of “green” energy to displace just one equivalent unit of 24/7 fossil energy because your so-called 100 Watt solar panel delivers zero Watts at night and batteries are heavy toxic $energy hogs. One company in the U.S. cut down 5 acres of trees to build a solar farm to power the production of plastic bags. Green power will not be enough. Part-time energy and batteries adds up to death to all life on earth just from destructive ecological inertia.
    Ozzie Zehner explains about “green energy”.

Tim Garrett explains why one dollar equals 10 milliwatts.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tim+garrett+is+it+possible+to+decouple+economic+wealth+from+carbon+dioxide+emission+rates%3F+part+i

NooBoob
    Participant

This is why green energy will fail@
    I will tell you the plain simple truth.
    ► 10,000 years ago humans and our livestock occupied just 0.01% of all the land-air vertebrate biomass on earth.
    ► Now humans and our livestock occupy 97% of all land-air vertebrate biomass.
    ► Humans and our livestock now consume over 40% of earth’s annual green land biomass production.
    ► 1 million people born every 4½ days. People live longer.
    What does this mean?
    ► 50% of All Vertebrate Species will be gone by 2040.
    https://www.cultureunplugged.com/documentary/watch-online/play/7350/Call-of-Life–Facing-the-Mass-Extinctiony
    What have we done?
    ► 90% of Big Ocean Fish gone since 1950.
    ► 50% of Great Barrier Reef gone since 1985.
    ► 50% of Fresh Water Fish gone since 1987.
    ► 30% of Marine Birds gone since 1995.
    ► 28% of Land Animals gone since 1970.
    ► 28% of All Marine Animals gone since 1970.
    ► 50% of Human Sperm Counts gone since 1950.
    ► 90% of Lions gone since 1993.
    ► 90% of Monarch Butterflies gone since 1995.
    ► 93 Elephants killed every single day.
    ► 2-3 Rhinos killed every single day.
    ► Bees die from malnutrition lacking bio-diverse pollen sources.
    ► Extinctions are 1000 times faster than normal.
    What’s going to happen to us?
    ► Ocean acidification doubles by 2050.
    ► Ocean acidification triples by 2100.
    ► We are on track in just 13 years to lock in a near term 6°C earth temp rise.
    ► Mass Extinction will become unstoppable and irreversible in 40 years.
    ► Permian mass extinction of 95% of life took 60,000 years 250 million years ago.
    ► Dinosaurs mass extinction took 33,000 years after asteroid impact.
    ► Anthropogenic mass extinction will take 300 years max.
    ► This mass extinction is 100x faster than anything before us.
    ► Antarctic meltdown now irreversible and unstoppable.
    ► Arctic methane burst is irreversible and unstoppable within current system.
    ► World Bank says we have 5-10 years before we all fight for food and water.
    What are we doing right now?
    ► It takes 10 times as much rated “green” energy to displace 1 unit of fossil energy.
    ► Efficiency and conservation only causes more growth within our current system.
    ► We combine bacteria DNA with plant DNA and eat it.
    ► We are eating stuff that never, ever existed on earth before.
    ► We put man-made, computer designed, synthetic DNA into our food.
    ► We put nano metals and nano particles into our food.
    ► We put poisonous pesticides and herbicides directly into our foods.
    ► There are thousands of different chemicals in our foods.
    ► We are turning into genetic mutants because of our food.
    ► We are wiping out all life on earth because of our food.
    ► After mass extinction, genetically modified trees may be all we leave behind.

Did you know that the new $2 billion Ivanpah solar plant in the Mojave desert is a death ray that ignites birds in mid flight? When their bodies fall to the ground, they leave smoky trails in the sky called streamers. These birds are attracted to the bugs who are attracted to the shiny, pretty lights, just like us. It is estimated as many as 30,000 birds per year will die this way during huge migrations at just this one green power plant. Bigger solar plants of the same type are in the works including one near Joshua Tree, next to a wildlife sanctuary. During Ivanpah’s construction, up to 3,000 endangered desert tortoises suffered a temporary loss of legal protection and were allowed to be killed by heavy diesel equipment and materials. Thousands of slave workers die in China’s mines every single year to help produce the exotic minerals used in its construction. This is referred to as the “Green Economy”. If we changed the whole planet to green power, we would kill the earth we call home.

Civilization is slowly collapsing while the earth is quickly dying. My credentials? I cut grass in a trailer park in Canada. Just call me Dr. Rob.

TheTrivium4TW
    Participant

>>What is more evident than anything else is that we live in a failed economic model.<<
    I disagree. This is a fantastic economic model for the people who run it. The loot, with craven fierceness, a society full of sycophants who make every excuse in the book in order to avoid the obvious conclusion – tyrants are running the show.
    This economic wasn’t set up for the phony good reason given to us. There was a dastardly evil reason underlying the good reason propaganda.
    The politicians are hired rhetoricians playing a role on Earth similar to the sophists of old. They are hired guns that do what their employers and promoters tell them to do.
    If they don’t give a crap about what you want then guess what? YOU aren’t considered their employer and their promoter. But some special interest is.
    That special interest never loses – in fact they win trillions by committing trillions in fraud upon the America people who think these criminals are “stupid.” Uh, no. They are stone cold criminals and the longer their crimes go without account the more bold they will become.
    Now they are talking about genetically modifying babies to torture and murder to death in their effort to test pharmaceuticals…

Artificial micro-humans to replace animals in lab tests
    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Artificial-micro-humans-to-replace-animals-in-lab-tests/articleshow/41394636.cms

If Hitler was doing this then everyone would know the deal, but when their own tyrants do it, they justify it – just like the everyday Germans did. Those evil Poles are abusing our German brethren – we must save them from the evil Polish government that abuses its people!
    Does the rational sound familiar to the criminals who waged international war crimes on Iraq, Libya, Egypt, Syria, Ukraine and, soon enough, Iran?
    The only difference is the Debt Money Monopoly quislings in the Western governments finance terrorists and Nazis to do their dirty work for them.

V. Arnold
    Participant

I watched The Moment of Truth, all 2:06:00 of it. Worth the time, IMO.
    Dotcom’s attorney, Greenwald, Assange, and Snowden all spoke. New Zealand has some serious problems with their lying PM, Key.
    You can watch it here;
    https://www.correntewire.com/

It takes a few minutes to start the speaking. So you can FF it a bit.

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

It’s always illuminating to see WHICH atrocity we care about at any given time. The flavor du jour is ISIS, of course, whereas what happens in Africa is never important enough to bother with–unless like last year in Sudan, oil is found there and China is edging in on it. Basically, if psychopaths EVER claim to care about ANY human deaths, you have to ask yourself why this one, this time, and not the ones they themselves wantonly cause. (2,400 dead by drone, including over 200 children, anyone? More killed by cancer from airport x-rays than were killed in 9-11? 100,000 or more to be killed by health effects of Corexit in the Gulf? Deaths in an abandoned Detroit from crime and poverty?)

So you can be sure, if deaths are in the news, and we are “shocked” and “appalled”, that it’s been carefully placed for geopolitical staging and advantage. We’re not here for your health. We don’t care about your life. Only directing your focus to OUR ends, our wealth and power.

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

@Nooboob

Where are you going with this? It is true that virtually any change humans make have bad effects on the environment, even if it’s no more than just existing by multiplying, eating things, and taking up space. Yet as a part of Nature — not a-part from it — we must and have the right all living creatures have to exist and fill our place in the environment.

Understanding the broad brush of what you’re saying, I guess I’m asking what your solutions are. Or if, as suggested, there ARE no solutions and the human race will rise and crash like yeast in a vat, to whom are you issuing a warning?

The purpose of yelling “Fire!” when there is a fire in a theatre is to encourage the patrons to exit safely. If we cannot exit safely, or you can’t or won’t inform them of the exits, shouldn’t you either quietly escape alone or let the patrons enjoy the movie and die unexpectedly in peace?

Yelling “Fire!” without offering visible exits is really no help at all.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

I’m often excoriated by those closest to me. Why? For pointing out the dishonesty of the power-mongers in banking, government and corporations. The response I’m given by family and friends is that they’d prefer to ignore these things. I’m called a fear-monger when I send links describing financial and economic peril. I’m called a conspiracy theorist when I send links on 9/11, chemtrails or staged events like Sandy Hook. I’m accused of anti-semitism for pointing out the role of Israel in fomenting genocide, murder and destruction throughout the Middle East.

I’m actually told: “There’s nothing you can do about it, so why waste your life worrying about it.”

Dr. Diablo, have you been taking lessons from my family?
    > > “Yelling ‘Fire!’ without offering visible exits is really no help at all.”

I have to disagree. Visible exits might appear later, like when the fire department hacks a hole in the wall. Are you saying that it would be best at that point for the crowd to be unaware of the fire?

In fact, I would submit to you that the reason all the bad things are happening in the world is BECAUSE of people’s lack of awareness (due to censorship, disinformation, misinformation, cover-ups, state secrets, falsified balance sheets, and other official ways they keep most of us humans in the dark). Solutions to problems come after awareness, not the other way around.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

I was immensely impressed with the first nine paragraphs of Ilargi’s essay today, right up through this one:

“Our choices then are clear. We can at this moment choose to prepare a smooth path towards de-centralization, or we can prepare to fight a thousand bloody battles over it. There are no other flavors available.”

At that point, I had to wonder who “we” would turn out to be, what this “smooth path” might consist of, and to doubt whether we were any closer to establishing that smooth path now than we were six years ago, thirty years ago, or even 100 years ago. Without that path, the only alternative is as Ilargi states.

The upshot I took away from this: it’s always best to prepare early, even if it turns out later that you didn’t need to. Just saying.

Separately from this, I seem to have picked up some misconceptions about the Scottish election. It’s a bad thing if Ukraine adopts the Euro, but a good thing if Scotland does? I’d like to see a brief explanation on how that can be so. Will Scotland become saddled with bailing out Greece and Ukraine later on? Bill Still seems to think Scotland will have an opportunity (with a yes vote) create its own national currency. Anybody know if he’s just hallucinating?

This Thursday’s Scottish referendum is increasingly reminding me of America’s Presidential elections. Pretty smiles, overblown threats, ad-hominem and big promises that turn out to be lies and misrepresentations later on. Does any Scottish voter really understand the ramifications of what he’s voting on? I have my doubts.

John Day
    Participant

In complex systems, higher levels of order can arise, as long as there is excess energy to drive them.
    Now as the energy is being withdrawn, we can’t support all the higher levels of order.
    Feudalism was not as bad as it was made out to be, and could exist with agricultural level energy supplies.
    Scotland and Catalonia will have to work things out, as will we all.
    I suspect currencies will simplify again.
    I’m growing a garden, bike commuting, helping my adult children and praying/meditating that “we” awaken as “I”.
    It’s all my practice. Mental only goes so far.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.