Debt Rattle August 5 2021

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 5 2021

Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)
  • Author
    those darned kids
    Participant

“You finally got something right.”

the nile is the longest river in africa.

thomasjkenney
    Participant

Rhinoceros – 1974 – Gene Wilder, Zero Mostel, Karen Black

deflationista
    Participant

These are your peeps:

madamski cafone
    Participant

“I may get banned for this, but fuck off, already!”

I say you should be promoted. Not because of TAE’s prevailing attitude toward deflationista, but because you stuck your neck out and were *gasp* rude about something you felt passionate enough about to bang somebody’s cage in desperate hope they’ll get the message.

If we can’t be *gasp* rude about something we feel passionate enough about to bang somebody’s cage in desperate hope they’ll get the message, we may be less able to say NO to things like mandatory vakzinations and find our heads being banged into cages. Oh… I liked that. V-e-w-y mysterious. Cue The Sphinx:

The Sphinx

deflationista
    Participant

DuH. Freedumb.

Mister Roboto
    Participant

I say you should be promoted.

So what do I get? A fancy title? A free box of diabetic cookies? A big, floppy ladies sun-hat with plastic fruit and flowers on it?

Seriously, though, I should probably log off for a while and go read my Star Trek book. (Yes, I know there ain’t gonna be any such future, but I read the freaking things anyway.)

Mr. House
    Participant

Mister Roboto
    Participant

Oh yeah, before retreating into the wonderful world of techno-fantasy, I thought I would post something I’ve been meaning to post:

madamski cafone
    Participant

I recognise in deflationista something I recognise in myself: he’s a man with a mission. Something-something about anti-vaxxers are so stupid and crazy and naive and, oh, downright deplorable.

My mission is simply not to buckle to group pressure, conventions, traditions, and unexamined dogma. deflationista’s seems to be that he wants us to pull our heads out of our asses so we can smell how bad we stink. I have obliged him several times to some extent, but upon emerging found the air too thick with deflationista’s smell to notice my own.

I’ve been too busy listening to him tell us how stupid he believes we are to notice how stupid I may in fact be.

All part of that old new thing called internet discourse:

zone

Did you set your zone to silence or echo?

What? I can’t hear you?

Would you stop SCREAMING at me!!

What?!?

madamski cafone
    Participant

” (Yes, I know there ain’t gonna be any such future, but I read the freaking things anyway.)”

That’s why it’s called escapist fiction, MR. And the meoldy of the original TV theme song is one of the Great Arias, imo.

All Vowels

those darned kids
    Participant

gene roddenberry wrote lyrics to the theme just so he could take half the royalties.

jerk.

Beyond
    The rim of the star-light
    My love
    Is wand’ring in star-flight
    I know
    He’ll find in star-clustered reaches
    Love,
    Strange love a star woman teaches.
    I know
    His journey ends never
    His star trek
    Will go on forever.
    But tell him
    While he wanders his starry sea
    Remember, remember me.

those darned kids
    Participant

“These are your peeps”

i could not be prouder. unmask our kids! growl! grrrrrr! go peeps!

madamski cafone
    Participant

tdk:

star trek never fails to disappoint at its rotten core, from Kirk the Jerk to those pustulent lyrics by Roddenberry. I think I’ll print them out and see if my dog wants to roll in them.

zerosum
    Participant

deflationista,
    Likes the following data,
    The World Mortality Dataset provides a more accurate picture of the number of people who died because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and it is available online and updated daily.

https://www.mortality.org/
    The Human Mortality Database
    Our analysis (updated almost daily at https://github.com/dkobak/excess-mortality) showed statistically significant positive excess mortality in 69 out of 103 countries. Moreover, it suggests that the true COVID-19 death toll in several countries is over an order of magnitude larger than the official COVID-19 death count.

The data are sourced from the World Mortality Dataset. Excess mortality is computed relative to the baseline obtained using linear extrapolation of the 2015–19 trend. In each subplot in the figure below, gray lines are 2015–19, black line is baseline for 2020, red line is 2020, blue line is 2021. Countries are sorted by the % increase over the baseline.

Red number: excess mortality starting from the first officially reported Covid-19 death.
    Gray number: excess mortality as a % of the annual baseline deaths.
    Black number: excess mortality per 100,000 population.
    Blue number: ratio to the daily reported Covid-19 deaths over the same period (sourced from WHO).
    ———–
    Lets look at Canada, one of the 34 with no excess (from jan 26 to feb 21 above the line but since then its been below the excess)
    Excess mortality: deaths from all causes compared to previous years

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers/coronavirus-data-explorer?facet=none&Metric=Excess+mortality&Interval=7-day+rolling+average&Relative+to+Population=true&Align+outbreaks=false&country=~CAN

D Benton Smith
    Participant

@Mister Roboto

That wasn’t a portent, actually. It was your olfactory sense. You smelled a plague rat. . . deflationista, to be specific and explicitly personal. (deflatmo is a little slow, so if I didn’t spell it out he might not get it.) The miasma reminds of rotted troll, only stinkier. It took days to clear the stench after the last one.

@deflationista

So whadaya say, deflated one, are you craving a little humiliation? Here are your choices:
    1. Stop being an asshole and play nice (most advisable but least likely)
    2. Scuttle back into your sewer (most probable, eventually, but your learning disabilitity will make that a painfully slow realization)
    3. Stay and play (obviously this is the one I want because dismantling imitation intellects like you is almost as much fun as slugging rats in the gutter.)

chooch
    Participant

I read that the Secretary of Defense is expected to announce mandatory vax for all military. Originally, they were going to wait on full FDA approval which now expected by labor day. This would likely to coincide with the case peak for the delta variant.

We now know that masks, quarantines and the vaccines don’t stop the spread of the virus

Even a Military-Enforced Quarantine Can’t Stop the Virus, Study Reveals

DarkMatter
    Participant

@House

This may indeed be “a sign of things to come”, as the jab will essentially be a requirement for remaining in the salaried class, while wage-earners will be less affected as a group by any such requirements.

Maybe the salaried class will get black overalls while the wage-earners will wear blue.

DarkMatter
    Participant

@deflationista

99% of those dying now were not vaccinated.

OK. But what percentage of those dying were treated with MATH+? I can agree that if MATH+ were not available people with risk factors are safer being vaccinated than not vaccinated, at least in the short term.

Mr. House
    Participant

something to keep in mind

#207. Could the dollar crack?

Huskynut
    Participant

So suddenly I’m interested in sourcing a browser plug-in that will filter out comments from specific posters on WordPress websites. Does anyone know if such a glorious product exists?

Huskynut
    Participant

Or even better, that add’s a “mute” button to the rendered screen with a user-selectable time delay (say 5 days by default).
    Hey, everyone has bad days and I’d hate to lose access to a smart commenter forever for the sake of one dumb remark, but getting back to the days of parsing focused TAE comments numbering a few dozen would really crank my handle.

Huskynut
    Participant

Actually I’ll settle for one one these gismos for WordPress, but if anyone is able to create one for wider life, let’s have that as a stretch goal… 😉

those darned kids
    Participant

manic times, husky..

Viewing 23 posts - 161 through 183 (of 183 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.