Debt Rattle December 7 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle December 7 2018

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Claude Monet Camille on the Beach at Trouville 1870   • Russia Seeks To ‘Feed The Whole Planet’ – PM (RT) • Markets Are Going Haywire, Sudden Mov
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle December 7 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Claude Monet Camille on the Beach at Trouville 1870
    A comely lass, Camille; but what are the three, tall, poles sticking up out of the sea?
    Mostly I like this Monet; being a water baby, anything to do with the sea is okay by me…

V. Arnold
    Participant

Medvedev is funny, with a serious twist. Note that this has all happened because of US sanctions. Russian grain exports have surged more than 54% this year. Funny that Ukraine fed much of Europe not that long ago (100 years?!) because of its highly fertile black earth.

And this is the entire U.S. plan: to possess that most immense of Russia’s resources.
    While the U.S. has been blessed with an abundance of resources, they pale in comparrison to Russia.
    The U.S. has lusted after Russia’s resouces for over a century.
    Not understanding Russian culture; the U.S. will never have that opportunity.
    The U.S. will forever be denied its dream of ruler of the world…
    The ever pompous Pompeo will eat his own words…

olo530
    Participant

V. Arnold, I think in a more general sense Russia has a lot of resources, but agricultural lend is not one of them, especially compared to the US. Look at how much US territory is south of 49th parallel – almost all of it. Compare it to Russia – almost none of it. Shorter growing season and quite poor soils – nothing to luster after. Russia produces and exports predominantly soft wheat, like 99%. And Russia imports hard wheat, the one you actually use for baking. I don’t know, maybe it has changed lately, but I doubt it. It’s mostly a function of geography.

V. Arnold
    Participant

olo530

The sheer immensity of Russia is difficult for most to comprehend; agriculturally they have more than sufficient arable land at latitudes suitable for farming (Canada is a huge wheat growing country).
    Russia will not allow any GMO crops; is very keen on organic growing practices.
    When I spoke of resources, agriculture is just a fraction of the picture. Fresh water abounds across the entire country, most (not all) not polluted.
    The U.S. lust for the land occupied by Russia is for gas, oil, and most specifically mineral content. Agriculture would be very low on that list of priorities.
    Geopolitically Russia is in the catbird seat, called the heartland of the Eurasian landmass.
    Mackinder, Spykman, and Mahan are the authors of the Heartland Theory, presently being played out as I type this…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.