Debt Rattle Easter Sunday 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle Easter Sunday 2018

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Rembrandt van Rijn Christ and St Mary Magdalene at the Tomb 1638   • US Homes Become ATMs Again (MW) • The Housing Crisis – There’s Nothing We Ca
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle Easter Sunday 2018]

Nassim
    Participant

National Park Service. At a press conference on March 1, the National Park Service issued their first peak bloom prediction for the 2018 season. They predicted that peak bloom would fall sometime between March 17 to 20. On March 12, they revised that prediction to March 27 to 31. On March 23, they pushed it back again to April 8-12.

2018 Cherry Blossom Peak Bloom Forecasts

I guess they will eventually work out that the AGW story is past its sell-by date.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Nice to see you back…

Dr. D
    Participant

Yes, still snowing on the coast, but average weather here.

Since I make fun of Keen regularly, have to post that his mortgage article is timely and accurate, with all (most) proper parts and drawbacks listed, viz, that it’s de facto a pyramid scheme. In the States, the mortgage interest exemption is both a subsidy to housing (really banks, of course) but also a direct transfer from renters (the poor) to owners, especially expensive ones (the rich). Go us! And now that Bush destroyed ownership, we have more renters than ever to pay the rich!

In the same vein, Amazon’s subsidy works out great for middle and upper middle class Americans who buy on Amazon all day, while the poor are locked out and transferring their postal money to the classes above them. ‘Cause, free market, amirite? Now why on earth would DJT go after them just because they are a nationwide monopoly using stock/bank financing and government contracts to run an perennially money-burning venture with no profits to cause “dumping” and therefore run all competitors out of business, while sucking billions in tax subsidies, Wal-Mart style? I mean, aside from how every part of that has been illegal for 100 years under the Sherman anti-trust act, AND they daily attack the hand that feeds them, isn’t a totally government-subsidized, taxpayer funded, illegal job-destroying monopoly the American way? I thought the whole point of the system was to create a plantation society with a company store. Or perhaps that’s not what the voters want?

More: And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country’s planted thick with laws from coast to coast — man’s laws, not God’s — and if you cut them down… d’you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety’s sake. Sir Thomas More, A Man For All Seasons

Nassim
    Participant

“Nice to see you back…”

Do you mean me? If so, thank you. It is a long way from Warwickshire via Colombo and Melbourne to Cairns (by car).

I hope Zerosum comes back too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.