Debt Rattle March 31 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 31 2018

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Giotto Lamentation 1306   • What Could Dethrone the Dollar as Top Reserve Currency? (WS) • How Many Trillions In Debt Are Linked To Soaring LIBOR
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 31 2018]

sumac.carol
    Participant

So now they are putting Assange in solitary confinement effectively. Horrifying.

V. Arnold
    Participant

It would be interesting to know what threats were made by the U.S./UK towards the Ecuadorian’s.
    Must have been pretty serious…

Dr. D
    Participant

It’s hard to say he’s incommunicado as he can still write, but close. Armstrong used an IBM typewriter for years, locked up illegally for contempt for refusing to play ball while Clapper walked around free. So why doesn’t Assange paper-memo the words and have someone outside post it? Is it because they’d illegally imprison/shoot/drone that person too?

And CNBC, if we don’t have news, we make it up. I didn’t check, but by the narrowest parameters, their article that Bitcoin has had the worst quarter is possibly true, but achingly disingenuine — and for a change, they claim to have looked at a chart! But in 2011, BTC fell from $1,000 to $200 and stayed there for two years. That’s an 80% fall, or twice as hard, and I expect twice as damaging.

What else does that say? It also fell from $3,000 to $2,000 and $5,000 to $3,000 in 2017 alone, so when a 33% Fib swing is an almost monthly occurrence, a 50% Fib yearly or bi-yearly wouldn’t be out of line. That’s not to say it’ll go up or down, but that BTC and the other cryptos have a very high beta and should be treated as such. You wouldn’t rate Twitter’s IPO on the basis of IBM’s history, or compare Santander to the US 30-year bond. So why compare Bitcoin as if it should have the beta of the S&P? Why? Because although their ability to manipulate it increases daily, they still need to smash it and get in, but Jaimie Dimon was burning credibility by posting a new Bitcoin obit every month. Here’s the next best thing. Stay out peasant, stay in the U.S. Dollar. Can’t you see how awesome the U.S. economy is doing? It’s huuuuuuge.

And it’s not like Facebook, Google, Bank of America will tell you how you may or may not spend your own money…oh wait, since Operation Chokepoint and Parkland, they are. While charging outrageous fees and creating felonious accounts, they are cutting advertising, credit card, and bank clearing of products they don’t approve of. Thanks, mom! You’re right, I should be allowed to think or act for myself! …And they wonder why people want a different financial clearing system. Sheesh.

zerosum
    Participant

” … Mr Liu is on a “dishonest personnel” list … “

We are all on some kinds of LISTS.
    Think about it.
    We have been evaluated, judged and listed.
    Listing is required to make a social/economic system function.
    I’m on the non-elite list.

V. Arnold
    Participant

zerosum
    I for one, find your double, cross posting, tiresome.
    Normally I cruise the past postings in search of new additions just in case.
    You’re heard/read; give it a rest…ok?

zerosum
    Participant

@ V. Arnold

Right!
    Time for me to return to my invisible role.
    The stage is yours.

I don’t really know about cross posting, that’s posting the same comment twice or more in more than one place, right?! Hadn’t noticed. But if so, if someone did that, yeah, that’s not a great thing. However, in general I don’t want to have people retreat into ‘invisible roles’ around here. By all means, do not.

sumac.carol
    Participant

I appreciate reading the comments here- a good variety of perspectives and I appreciate the effort this represents.

V. Arnold
    Participant

zerosum
    I am, by no means, encouraging you to adopt “invisable” means. Please do not put words in my mouth.
    I mostly enjoy your comments

casamurphy
    Participant

The sure way for the dollar to lose reserve status would be for the rest of the world to be unable to obtain the dollars they need by undercutting US producers. If the rest of the world can’t obtain dollars by selling into the US market, then eventually the dollar will not be able to fulfill its reserve status. If increasingly impoverished US citizens become unable to support large trade imbalances then the world will need a substitute reserve currency. If the Fed and US Treasury artificially increase the dollar supply to try to compensate that could trigger a death spiral of dollar weakness. Things could still drag out, though, for decades to come.

Nassim
    Participant

“However, in general I don’t want to have people retreat into ‘invisible roles’ around here. By all means, do not.”

I think that is very reasonable. I am back in Australia and sometimes I post a comment and seemingly within minutes a new Debt Rattle comes out so I know that no one will read it so I post it on the more recent edition. I know it is not well-mannered, but it is not an executable offence IMHO.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.