Debt Rattle March 31 2019

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 31 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Banksy Devolved Parliament 2009   • Boris Johnson and Michael Gove Under Fire On Vote Leave’s Law-Breaking (G.) • EU Will Delay Brexit To Allow A
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 31 2019]

V. Arnold
    Participant

The Banksy is brilliant; spot on!
    On another note; I am so bloody, sick and tired, of the Brexit drama.
    Just how bloody insane does a society/government/country have to become before they usurp their right to exist?
    I have zero sympathy for the U.K. and its citizens, on the same level, as for the U.S. citizens, for their total lack of responsibility/action, for their plight.
    Stand and be counted, or just go away and die…

Hey! Don’t miss the Insane Trade video.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Hey! Don’t miss the Insane Trade video.

Well, I did miss it; but I just watched it.
    Yep! Spot on, unfortunately…
    Thanks

Dr. D
    Participant

“it’s been swept under the carpet. Why hasn’t it been investigated much more?”

If I remember from back then, because the Remainers cheated just as much or more. Weren’t some pretty big billionaires openly backing this? But this only goes back to the question of re-re-re-voting until we get it right.

“Britain can only do what the EU will allow.”

No, Britain can do whatever it likes. What is the EU going to do? Invade? Of course in reality bad blood isn’t good for anyone, but Britain the EU are major trading partners and need each other, this has happened before (like through most of European history), and it’ll work out. But that Britain isn’t a slave to Brussels and has leverage to advocate for better options was the whole POINT of Brexit.

In any case, to prevent Britain from realizing this, the EU will graciously extend Britain’s servitude forever. Because when the crash-out happens and people just work it out in a messy way, they’ll say like Patsy Cline, ‘Is that all there is?” Remember how the vote itself would crash the market, destroy the pound, collapse British and EU banking, and end the world? Golly none of that happened either: it was 100% pure lies, never apologized, never discredited. But we just fall for it next time, by that bulwark of lies, the Guardian and Independent and PS everybody else.

“May Risks ‘Total Collapse’ Of Government In Brexit Impasse – Sunday Times (R.)

People like me can only dream of a total collapse of government, as like when we have a shutdown, the citizens realize government does literally nothing for them they can’t do themselves. 21 times now, and still no one can tell the difference.

Sadly, the government does not ‘collapse’ in Britain, that’s hyperbole reserved for countries so safe and boring they’ve never experienced hardship. [collectively, not individually] For instance Libya ‘collapsed’. Iraq ‘collapsed.’ The Soviet Union ‘collapsed.’ No, it would just call a vote, more rich idiots exactly like the old rich idiots would replace them in a Chinese fire drill, and they’d go on being run by oligarchs, because they’re not a democracy in the first place so the show WWE government appearance doesn’t really matter.

“a sign of the collapse in authority suffered by the prime minister,”

Like I said, the PM hasn’t run things in years. She has no authority, only image. [S]He’s a footman for the real powers.

“The absolute priority at the moment is to end this chaos the government has brought us to by their endlessly running down the clock and basically bullying and threatening people.”

Have to look out for the meta-meta in this statement. Like when everyone points to Trump, what they’re really saying is “He’s the head, he’s in control. We all look to him, displace him because he’s totally in charge.” When Corbyn says this, he says, “I’m a helpless victim, I’m not in control, I’m not a take-control type.” That doesn’t win elections. We don’t want a retiring victim to advocate for us, but a tireless pit bull who will tirelessly lambaste Parliament for the idiot sellouts they are.

“Chelsea Manning’s Lawyers File An Appeal Against Her Detention (Canary)”

Minimum 18 months prison because the government is rigging trials and evidence, harassing the presumed innocent for sheer amusement. All I can say is, if you’re in the “free” U.S. or pretty much anywhere on earth, “You’re Next”.

Next

“Loss of genetic diversity means that lions are now less able to withstand new diseases or environmental problems, such as heatwaves or droughts,”

Your DNA can guard you against a total lack of drinking water? Does it also extend the necks of live giraffes within 6 months? He may need to go back to science school, and take the reporter with him.

tabarnick
    Participant

I read the global trade madness piece. I find it compelling, and yet I would really want to understand what is going on, deeper. For instance, it says that the US imports 365,000 tons of potatoes and exports 325,000 tons. Which countries are the imports coming from, and which ones going to? Why? This does not seem to make much economic sense, and yet somehow it must. How? The piece does not say. It would explain a lot if the authors actually followed through and dug deeper. But the piece stops at a very superficial: how crazy is that?

Now what really puzzles me is the Automatic Earth stance on the matter. These economic international and really intercontinental arrangements have only been set up recently, as a result of economic trade agreements pursued by entities such as transnational corporations, technocrats and politicians in, say, the European Union. It used to be that TAE would expose, mock and denounce the turbo-capitalist financial economy as an environmental and financial unsustainable disastrous Ponzi scheme, and preach a more resilient and sustainable economy based on something more local and human scale. Fine, but now enters Brexit, which would constitute a modest attempt to disentangle somewhat one country from this very global economic world order and its opaque international obligations. And curiously on this topic, TAE has been predicting apocalypse, peddling a barrage of critical pieces, suggesting that the Brits can expect to collapse into a new Venezuela, huddling poor, hungry and lacking medication under bridges if they intend to actually go through wih their illegal, idiotic plan by knaves, racists, certified cretins and fools to leave the European Union.

I cannot understand the logic here. Has TAE come to love Big Brother?

PS: I find ironic that Local Futures that wrote the Trade Madness piece claims it wants to ‘shift away from dependence on global monopolies, and towards decentralized, regional economies’. Local Futures is at least consistent by calling the EU as dedicated to corporate interests and economic globalization; the EU economy as increasing pollution and CO2 emissions; economic integration as imposing human and ecological monoculture; and the EU as stripping national governments of political power

zerosum
    Participant

“Like I said, the PM hasn’t run things in years. She has no authority, only image. [S]He’s a footman for the real powers.”

Also,

Remember that all bloggers, and all of us making comments are even less influential in making things go our way. It doesn’t matter what we think or say.

All that the web does is to let us see farther than our belly button.

John Day
    Participant

http://www.johndayblog.com/2019/03/different-arrangements.html

Middle East Entente; New Alliance begins to displace Gulf Cooperation Council
    The first priority was to build Qatar’s new oil and gas pipelines to the Mediterranean via Iran-Iraq-Syria and also connect to the pipelines in Turkey. These pipelines would substitute for the originally planned “Sunni pipelines” which were to transverse Qatar-Saudi Arabia-Iraq-Syria and which had originally led to the Qata-ri support for the Syrian jihad. The new pipelines would move to the shores of the Mediterranean — mainly the Syrian port of Latakia — gas and oil from both Qatar and Iran. The pipelines would be followed by electricity lines and a fully integrated transportation infrastructure on a regional basis.
    The long-term strategic infrastructure envisioned by “the Middle Eastern Entente” reflected the grand-strategic aspirations of Iran and Turkey.​..
    ​Taken together, the transportation cooperation agreement between the three bloc members (Qatar, Iran, and Turkey), and the transportation agreement between Iran, Iraq, and Syria, provide for a road and rail-way system linking all these states. This makes Iran the lynchpin of the regional transportation networks, and, thus, a crucial purveyor of access for the PRC. Indeed, PRC senior officials consider Iran to be “a key pivot to China’s BRI in the region”.
    https://oilprice.com/Geopolitics/Middle-East/New-Middle-East-Alliance-Shakes-World-Powers.html

​Turkey wants S-400 more than F-35, for sure…
    ​https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-29/erdogan-remains-unmoved-us-senate-moves-kill-f-35-transfer-turkey

Joe Biden doesn’t recall hair-sniffing or long kiss…
    Describing the 2014 incident, the then-35-years-old Flores says she raced to a November 1 campaign rally with unwashed hair – spraying some “dry shampoo” in, only to have Biden creep up from behind and ‘do his thing.’
    As I was taking deep breaths and preparing myself to make my case to the crowd, I felt two hands on my shoulders. I froze. “Why is the vice-president of the United States touching me?”
    I felt him get closer to me from behind. He leaned further in and inhaled my hair. I was mortified. I thought to myself, “I didn’t wash my hair today and the vice-president of the United States is smelling it. And also, what in the actual fuck? Why is the vice-president of the United States smelling my hair?” He proceeded to plant a big slow kiss on the back of my head.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-29/what-actual-fck-nevada-dem-describes-biden-metoo-hair-smelling-followed-big-slow

TAE has been predicting apocalypse, peddling a barrage of critical pieces, suggesting that the Brits can expect to collapse into a new Venezuela, huddling poor, hungry and lacking medication under bridges if they intend to actually go through with their illegal, idiotic plan by knaves, racists, certified cretins and fools to leave the European Union.

Uh, no. But at least now we know where you”re coming from.

I cannot understand the logic here. Has TAE come to love Big Brother?

And even better now. TAE’s view that leaving the EU could be a good thing, but doing it the way Theresa May is trying is not, has been well documented going back 3+ years.

Polder Dweller
    Participant

For anyone who wanted to stop Brexit, this seemed the way out: show illegal activity. Plenty appears to be there, but it’s been swept under the carpet. Why hasn’t it been investigated much more?

It’s a question you can add to the list I wrote in response to the Demise of Democracy essay. The answer’s the same.

zerosum
    Participant

Does anyone here think that they have had success in getting their opinions accepted by the elites?
    Do any of you know anyone who has cause changes with their blogs? (no. Even Karl admits his frustration)
    Remember that all bloggers, and all of us making comments are even less influential in making things go our way than Putin or Trump. It doesn’t matter what we think or say.

All that the web does is to let us see farther than our belly button.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Remember that all bloggers, and all of us making comments are even less influential in making things go our way than Putin or Trump. It doesn’t matter what we think or say.
    zerosum

True. But there are people who mistake commenting for action.
    I dare say, it may be the majority; wouldn’ surprise me; but in fact I don’t know.

In all my years of commenting, I cannot say I’ve ever changed anybody’s mind on anything…

democritus
    Participant

V. Arnold: “zero sympathy for the U.K….Stand and be counted, or just go away and die…

“In all my years of commenting, I cannot say I’ve ever changed anybody’s mind on anything…”

That doesn’t surprise me at all.

democritus
    Participant

If we have another referendum do we have to take into account the two and a half year pro-remain campaign by the Independent? or do we just write that off as “news” about the future? Or maybe we just wipe the slate clean and have a token period of unbiased reporting.

V. Arnold
    Participant

That doesn’t surprise me at all.
    democritus

Oh, and you have?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.