Debt Rattle September 17 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle September 17 2018

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

René Magritte Companions of fear 1942   • Repo 105 (Ben Hunt) • The Everything Bubble” Threatens $400 Trillion In Assets (ZH) • What Can Cause th
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle September 17 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

The René Magritte, Companions of fear, 1942, is interesting, both in composition and the year 1942.
    That no additional information is to be found is frustrating, to say the least.

I’m somewhat certain we are firmly in the grip of the Age of Belief. The Age of Reason is nowhere to be found. The Age of Knoweldge is likewise MIA.
    This should scare the hell out of Usians; but they have no idea of these realities; blinded by belief and ignorance. They do not know they are ignorant and have no clue of the things they do not know.
    And then there are the purposeful distractions, that rain down like confetti at a rock and roll concert.
    The social media are the absolute worst offenders; but like good heroine, are addicting and hard to quit.
    The positive is the live feed of the destruction of a society; front row seats for those aware.
    This cannot be saved; it must fester and die, to make way for the next iteration, whatever that may be…

I wonder if we’re ever going to figure out what social media have been, and are, doing to us, individually and socially. It’s been such a sudden and overpowering event perhaps we could not be expected to have any defence really. But it certainly changes just about everything in the ways of communication. And ‘old’ media go right along because they figured out that’s where the money is.

So accuse anyone of anything with just innuendo and unproven notions, and tomorrow’s new notions will make people forget, but some part of the innuendo will linger. “He’s a rapist and the other guy’s an anti-Semite, and the third one is both.” Harming people has become so easy. Maybe we’ll figure it all out when power is cut and the whole server circus no longer works.

But maybe then we’ll just have millions of people staring at their empty hands wondering what to do with themselves.

Ken Barrows
    Participant

Where did this “neutral rate” come from anyway? If M1/M2//M3 are rising faster than GDP, then institutions are still lending. Let’s see if the 10 year UST goes over 3% today.

V. Arnold
    Participant

I wonder if we’re ever going to figure out what social media have been, and are, doing to us, individually and socially. Ilargi

Really? How is it I figured it out a decade ago? And dumped it all?
    This isn’t rocket science (or maybe it is for the majority) but then that just goes right back to what I said above:

They do not know they are ignorant and have no clue of the things they do not know.

And what we’ll get is the man on a white horse, bearing a flag and a cross…

zerosum
    Participant

But maybe then we’ll just have millions of people staring at their empty hands wondering what to do with themselves.

hehehehe

If I was a standup comedian, I could use that sentence as a starting platform for adult party jokes.

However, seriously

Women are causing social changes in society in unforeseen ways.
    Acceptable physical contact with the opposite sex is becoming harder for everyone to understand.

Yes, trying to determine which physical contact with another person is acceptable will need to be defined and taught in elementary grade school.

Already, children are being taught, “no means no”, “no bullying”, “no hitting”, “no hugging”.

Will test tube babies be the socially accepted procreation method?

Doc Robinson
    Participant

V. Arnold
    René Magritte, Companions of fear, 1942

For what it’s worth, a description and interpretation from Wahoo Art:

“The Companions of Fear original oil painting by René Magritte is among this surrealist painter’s most intriguing art works. Many of Magritte’s later oil paintings take the humorous edge: In this way The Companions of Fear is somewhat different – Humor ebbs toward the darker side of irony.
    The Companions of Fear was produced in 1942. In 1926 Magritte produced his first surrealist oil painting. 1927 his first exhibition at Galerie le Centaure was crucified by the critics. He moved to Paris, was befriended by André Breton and so was involved with the Surrealist group. However, Magritte returned to Brussels in 1930 after making little impression within the Parisian art world. The Companion of Fear was produced as the German army took control of Belgium. In 1946 Magritte renounced the pessimism of his earlier works.
    Magritte liked to challenge the viewer’s perception and encourage them to use their intuition. Owls symbolize wisdom. In many cultures they are believed to be able to see all things that are usually hidden – In the world of magic, dreams and clairvoyance. This oil painting depicts two Barn owls which are believed to ‘see without physical sight and hear what is not spoken.’ The other two birds are long eared owls with have remarkable hearing – Indeed, once again Magritte presents another intriguing hypothesis for the viewer.”

V. Arnold
    Participant

Doc Robinson
    Thanks for that. I figured that 1942 was a foreshadowing of WWII, but the owls weren’t clear until your comment. Of course; “wise old owl” is a common phrase in the US..

V. Arnold
    Participant

Doc Robinson
    Addendum:
    If I’m not mistaken; there are 5 owls; on the far right is what looks like a very small owl.
    Which begs (for me) the question; what is the significance of 5?

Doc Robinson
    Participant

V. Arnold
    Yes, I wonder why five owls, and why are they joined with/ blended into the leaves. Also unmentioned in the quoted interpretation is the folklore associating owls with impending doom and death. Such symbolism appears in Shakespeare’s works..

V. Arnold
    Participant

Doc Robinson

Agree, which is why I mentioned a foreshadowing of WWII.
    Interesting that crows and ravens are also regarded as messengers…
    The magic of flight?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.