TSHTF Podcast with Nicole Foss, Raúl Ilargi Meijer & RE

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum TSHTF Podcast with Nicole Foss, Raúl Ilargi Meijer & RE

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Nicole and I did an interview with Reverse Engineer at the Doomstead Diner a few nights ago. I haven’t listened to it yet, but he seems to think it wa
    [See the full post at: TSHTF Podcast with Nicole Foss, Raúl Ilargi Meijer & RE]

Nicole Foss

In case anyone would like to go over our discussion on the definitions of inflation and deflation, as referred to in the podacst, here is the TAE primer on the subject, from November 2008: Inflation Deflated (https://www.theautomaticearth.com/2008/11/inflation-deflated/)

Rogue Economist
    Participant

Just thought I would drop by and pass on the latest Stats on this podcast. Currently at 1237 Listens on Opening Day. 🙂

I had to re-register here with a new ID, so I am now Rogue Economist on TAE. That was my original handle on Peak Oil before I got booted off there the first time. LOL.

Great to chat with Nicole and Roel.

RE

william
    Participant

How things are playing out are interesting. Pricing of stuff around the world is controlled almost like governments agreed on forcing everything to be stable like they really believe a full economic depression is at its roots the fault of the public.

I first saw this a number of years back when I was trucking. A huge fuel shortage happened but pricing didn’t change. Over a weeks period random stations ran out of fuel. It was more memorable for me because driving a semi truck stops started running out of fuel. We didn’t get stranded but trucks with smaller tanks were. Trucks with bad timing were. During this whole time nothing happened to price. Stations ran out but never increased there price. It was like there was a very strict pricing control amongst competition.

But now today its more interesting. China has place strict pricing controls to stop a run on their markets. According to new laws set out if you own a certain percentage, you a large player in ownership of that company, you are not allowed to sell or move more than a minor amount of shares out of that company for the next 3 months. All big plays, by law, must stay put.

Ok, what should we expect from a large communist country? Of course they put into play restrictions that are not in fair play with capitalism.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/08/04/investing/china-stock-market-short-selling/index.html

Although I had been watching China I missed Greece. They have shut down for 5 weeks only opening today. Down 15%.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/greek-blue-chip-stock-index-futures-open-down-072650859–sector.html

So is this the pricing system around the world? Maybe prices already are stable but volume is cut. Meaning your ability to have access to your money makes no difference it will now be about timing. Consumers may be left with targeted purchasing.

Use to be said that you should have at least a months worth of normal consumption cash sitting in your account to handle wealth. Wealthy people know costs rise considerably when you run low on capital. Beyond that now it appears it may be in your interest to have a storage of consumption that allows you not to enter the market for a week possible a month – might be the strategy to allow us to thrive.

Raleigh
    Participant

Very good interview. Scary re the thoughts about civil war in China (yikes), the Ogallala Aquifer depletion (just stupid), and derivatives taking priority position (bastards)!

Nicole, your intellect knows no bounds. But from the interview it was apparent you also wear another hat – that of a very effective mediator!

Job well done. RE, you know your stuff too!

LRacine
    Participant

I enjoyed the podcast…

At the 30 min mark you state that “Physical systems do not change that quickly…” with respect to climate change.

There are MANY peer reviewed papers from creditable scientist on this subject, referred to as “Abrupt Climate Change”, one that comes quickly to mind is Dr Jim White, from the University of Colorado. Director of the Institute of Alpine and Arctic Studies.

This is a link to a presentation that he did at the Weather and Climate Summit in 2014.

Another lecture you many want to watch in this series is Dr David Titley, part of his resume includes “Dr. Titley’s career included duties as Commander, Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command, Oceanographer and Navigator of the Navy, and Deputy Assistant Chief of Naval Operations for Information Dominance. He also served as Senior Military Assistant for the Director, Net Assessment in the Office of the Secretary of Defense. While serving in the Pentagon, Dr. Titley initiated and led the US Navy’s Task Force on Climate Change.”

National Security is taking Abrupt Climate Change very seriously…

His work is NOT junk science nor is it “cherry picking”…

DIYer
    Participant

Hello again, TAE .. it’s been a while. (I thought Orlov had the trademark on ‘Kollapsnik’, heh)

.. The revolution will not be televised. It will be tweeted. And blogged. But the blogs will be mostly noise, ..

Nice podcast. I especially enjoyed Ilargi’s contributions — kinda filled in the background a bit 🙂

LRacine, what Nicole is talking about when she says climate change will be slow, is by comparison with financial change. Now that the whole world of ‘finance’ is linked, along with all the people, the economy can fail overnight.

Climate change will be a lightning strike on the time scale of geological change, but it will almost certainly take decades to unfold. Of course, like the other changes, it is going on now. We can see it in melting arctic/antarctic ice sheets, retreat of glaciers, and alpine ecosystems moving to higher elevations. It is happening. And will get worse, but over a span of decades.

Rogue Economist
    Participant

Just thought I would let everyone know, this podcast with Nicole and Roel set all sorts of records in terms of listens. Over 4000 Listens in the first week.

Far as Kollapsnik goes, I own that URL, not Dmitry. 🙂

https://kollapsnik.com

RE

It’s that charm thing.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.