AE Fund for Athens: Update no. 3: Peristeri

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum AE Fund for Athens: Update no. 3: Peristeri

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ilargi The Other Human crew, Monastoraki Square, Athens July 2015 I owe you all a major update on the AE for Athens Fund, and perhaps an apology for t
    [See the full post at: AE Fund for Athens: Update no. 3: Peristeri]

John Day
    Participant

Good Work, Ilargi.
    I am sure your mother benefits from your presence with her.
    I also assume that specific types of insulin products in specific quantities have been requested.
    You do need a specific shopping list. I hope you can access low public health prices.
    Maybe you need a trip to India to access the low price products to bring to Greece.
    “Medical Courier” is a recognized task. I wonder what it takes to get recognized.

Greenpa
    Participant

Greece needs to produce its own insulin; as soon as it can. Something I’ve thought a good deal about, re collapse; I have a child with Type 1. It used to be produced from slaughtered pigs, primarily; and it could be again, fairly quickly. That kind is not as effective/good as the standard now, human insulin from genetically engineered E. coli. That could also be done, again, entirely in Greece, and screw the patents.

Nassim
    Participant

“and screw the patents.”
    hear hear!

Nicole Foss

Type 2 patients could control their condition with diet with the things that are available locally, then the scarce insulin could be saved for the type 1 patients for whom it’s non-negotiable. Of course it’s difficult to be choosy about food with very little money, but when the local food is best anyway it helps.

John Day
    Participant

Over years, even Type-2 patients burn out the ability of the pancreas to make insulin, something we didn’t know in the past.
    Control with diet and exercise early in the course of type-2 DM is ideal. Few can really do it in our world of TV, junk-food, cars and credit-cards.
    sigh…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.