Debt Rattle Apr 18 2014: When Men Travel First Class And Literature Goes As Freight

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle Apr 18 2014: When Men Travel First Class And Literature Goes As Freight

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Isabel Steva Hernandez (Colita)/Corbis Gabriel García Márquez 1975 There are times when time needs to stand still for a seemingly fleeting moment that
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle Apr 18 2014: When Men Travel First Class And Literature Goes As Freight]

Raleigh
    Participant

I too am an incurable romantic, and that is the best part of me, it is all of me. In this world, it is the part I keep secret. I have been blessed to feel what you describe in your first three paragraphs, and it wasn’t wealth or material possessions that brought me there. If you in your life don’t ever feel that all clocks should be stopped at some point, then how can you say you have ever truly lived?

I like this line from Antoine de Saint-Exupery: “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” I think there is a lot of heart out there; perhaps it has just been buried under the “visible”: assets, money, cars, and everything in the end that does not matter.

Maybe it’s as Marquez said: “Wisdom comes to us when it can no longer do any good.”

Raleigh
    Participant

Re Colbert taking over Letterman’s show – if I were corporate America or an American politician/military official…..I would want to stifle Colbert. Perhaps this is what happened. But Colbert is not stupid, he would know this. I can’t imagine them holding him down. We will see.

It is a shame because he opened people’s eyes to what was happening. It could be their way of getting rid of the court jester.

judy_b
    Participant

Ilargi,

I have a feeling that there are many, many of us who are celebrating Garcia Marquez’ life by picking up a volume of his work to read or reread. I remember the first time I was introduced to him via “One Hundred Years of Solitude.” I was visiting my sister in Seattle, and I saw the book on her coffee table. I picked it up and was completely intrigued by both the title and the description on the back flap. My sister gave it to me because in her words she “just couldn’t get into it.”

I, on the other hand, was transported to a magical world that seemed completely normal and real, all the way from the circus coming to town with the flying carpets, to the woman who ate the paint off every square inch of the walls in her house…and more.

Garcia Marquez introduced me to the concept of magical realism and to the world of Latin American fiction which is so much more than fiction, isn’t it?

Your tribute is beautiful, heartfelt, and touching. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Judy

johnhem
    Participant

Ilargi,

I can tell you that you may be an incurable romantic but that my grandfather would have been proud to have you as a friend.

John Hemingway

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.