Debt Rattle Apr 22 2014: What Is The Earth Worth (6 Years Later)?

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle Apr 22 2014: What Is The Earth Worth (6 Years Later)?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Edwin Rosskam Workers and hurricane shelter in tobacco field, Puerto Rico January 1938 Once more for everyone who’s got even the lightest slightest sh
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle Apr 22 2014: What Is The Earth Worth (6 Years Later)?]

Ken Barrows
    Participant

I would put it this way: In a week, the world increases by 1.4M people, spews out about 1/2 billion metric ton of CO2, kills off a few hundred species, and burns through $55-60 billion of oil. Do you think efficiency can overcome that?

jal
    Participant

No mater how hard you work or how hard you try, It is impossible to enjoy today’s lifestyle with only your own energy output.

“Working at the base of the production pyramid is never particularly lucrative (in the absence of distorting subsidy regimes), as one is not in a position to harness and profit from the efforts of others from lower layers.”

Live at the base of a mountain rather than at the base of a pyramid. Mother earth has a system of bringing water to the top and if you are ingenious you will extract the energy from that water for your own benefit.

theyhearnot
    Participant

Hi All:

Another bleak Earth Day is almost over. To me The Automatic Earth is one of the few lonely truth tellers of this bleak planet.

44 years ago as a student at U.W.Madison I still remember that first Earth Day. I remember the full story told that day. We live on a finite planet with finite resources.
    We cannot have unlimited growth. All the Geography courses I took made it clear that there were limits to growth.

We even talked about the 8,000 pound large animal in the room. We had about 3.2 Billion human inhabitants on planet earth back 44 years ago. Today we have 7 +++ Billion humans on the earth.

You hear NO mention of the population time bomb getting ready to explode. When you listen to the sincere Presstatutes, Profftatutes, and politicians all blather about the bright green future we have, It makes me sick with sorrow.

It would only upset the people of the world if you mention population growth. The Geography Professors at the University of Wisconsin clearly stated 45-50 years ago that the world goes KaBoom if we do not solve the population boom within 50 years.

The world does not have sufficient resources to provide a “Middle Class (70’s) lifestyle for 7+++ Billion People.

It is so sad to listen to all the smart people saying “we don’t talk about that”

Thank you for being one of the few places on the web that continues to talk about that.

theyhearnot
    theyknownot
    theyseenot

Barkeley
    Participant

John Maynard Keynes 1930 wrote in 1930 in Economic Possibilities for our Grandchildren:
    “I see us free, therefore, to return to some of the most sure and certain principles of religion and traditional virtue – that avarice is a vice, that the exaction of usury is a misdemeanour, and the love of money is detestable, that those walk most truly in the paths of virtue and sane wisdom who take least thought for the morrow. We shall once more value ends above means and prefer the good to the useful. We shall honour those who can teach us how to pluck the hour and the day virtuously and well, the delightful people who are capable of taking direct enjoyment in things, the lilies of the field who toil not, neither do they spin.

But beware! The time for all this is not yet. For at least another hundred years we must pretend to ourselves and to every one that fair is foul and foul is fair; for foul is useful and fair is not. Avarice and usury and precaution must be our gods for a little longer still. For only they can lead us out of the tunnel of economic necessity into daylight.”

2030 seems a long way away, I’ve sought to believe this for at least 20 years, but it is clear that the majority of people are unable to take responsibility for themselves, then they are unlikely to take responsibility for the world that they live in. It’s like watching a train wreck in slow motion … I wish I could look away.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.