Debt Rattle April 29 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle April 29 2020

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Gottscho-Schleisner Fulton Market pier, view to Manhattan over East River, NY April 20 1934   • 9 in 10 Americans Fear Economy Will Collapse Duri
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle April 29 2020]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Gottscho-Schleisner Fulton Market pier, view to Manhattan over East River, NY April 20 1934

Very cool photo of the pier; likely a schooner rigged sailing vessel…

zerosum
    Participant

Ground Zero
    Patient Zero

• A Fifth To Half Of All Coronavirus Deaths Have Been In Nursing Homes (JTN)

“Everyone failed from the start. The Chinese and the World Health Organization failed and even at the international, regional and national levels leaders failed,”

Every one is failing, by not finding out how the virus was able to jump to all the care homes around the world.

A contaminated “flu shot” would achieve this ability to go to every care homes.

Dr. D
    Participant

We believe science. We trust the doctors. Unless they’re California ER doctors with 5 million views. Then we delete them.

According to themselves and their non-testing 1 in 300 people in the U.S. already had it. That’s not too shabby in immunity, except for how they now say it’s impossible to be immune. So obviously we have to continue the lockdown into the 2090’s. When we won’t have any immunity either, but will have 57 new Heinz varieties. At that rate, we’ll soon have infinite detention and zero immunity to anything. We can all have the joys of being Bubble Boy. Oh, and of course, never, never die. Everyone will live forever and we’ll win the new #WarOnDeathItself. Yup indeedie doodlie.

Meanwhile, without any of their actions, cases dropped in Bronx way back on the 11th and have stayed down. That ER doctor isn’t being reported because he says in this low-income, vital-worker area, the stop happened despite quarantine, not because of it. You know, like we see all over the planet. Switzerland is today’s example. What? The media didn’t tell you we’re 18 days past the peak already? Wow, how odd they wouldn’t report that. Several hundred death certificates had to be reversed in Pennsylvania, cutting the deaths in half because the coroners rioted (for them). So people like a man with double gunshot wounds and a baby who was smothered won’t be Covid cases anymore. Don’t worry: it will never be reported.

Super-rich made $282B or $10,800 per unemployed person. It takes the government to make this happen.

Government shutdowns, government bailouts. Hey, why’s that income disparity so high? Every time they help it gets higher. Can’t figure it out.

“Wait. That means they don’t get anything from the payroll schemes, right?”

Correct. But that means they make something like $25k/year instead, perhaps doubling their pay. Also there are no rules on the payroll thing, so no one know if they’re eligible, what the rules are, and if it’s a grant or a loan. Any corporate lawyer would shoot you if you signed it: you have unlimited risk and no visibility. Like HAMP, that evicted many thousands from their homes. Oops! Did I win again? Nice house you got here. Shame if it should end up in my pockets.

Rather than kind of doing sort of the least effort that kind of will slow it down, do the most effort and get it to stop and you’re done”

He’s obviously never met human beings before. How are you going to make them? How are you going to make them when you can’t arrest and jail them? Is making them not going to kill more of them? Cool story, bro’. Nobody’s listening. You’re already at maximum cooperation and dropping fast. Point?

“• Empower local governments
    • Maximize social distancing
    • Require mask usage”

Empower them to do what? Arrest people? Flap their gums? Take money they don’t have? Hahahahahahahaha. “Enforce distancing” how? “Require” how? You can’t even stop being from shooting heroin and stabbing each other. Hahahahahaha.

Conditions for PHASE 1 reopening:
    + Mandatory masks in public
    + Tests
    + No superspreaders: subways, urologists conferences, etc.
    + Monitoring of passengers
    + Economists & psychologists stay locked-up at in permanent quarantine.
    Basically what we should have done in late January.” — Taleb

Except we had:
    a) no masks
    b) no tests
    c) no way to monitor as we have:
    d) no symptoms
    And we still have none of those things. We also have no magic moonbeams. I tell you Taleb is losing his mind.

Schmarty-answer? “Well I TOLD them, so…” Uh-huh. So your very-smart words makes tests and masks and food appear? Tell me again how smart you are.

Thousands of British Workers Will Need to Gather the Harvest (R.)”

Sounds like they’ll need to raise wages. And now above the $25K/yr level unemployment gives. Hey, won’t that make FOOD prices rise and then perfectly match and erase the stimulus? Has this happened everywhere on earth every time it’s been tried?

zerosum
    Participant

another one bits the dust

https://www.ktvq.com/news/national/coronavirus/navy-ship-with-47-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-cases-arrives-in-san-diego

COVID-19 cases arrives in San Diego

By: KGTV StaffPosted at 7:15 AM, Apr 29, 2020 and last updated 6:15 AM, Apr 29, 2020
    SAN DIEGO — A Navy destroyer with confirmed coronavirus cases docked in San Diego on Tuesday to treat sailors and disinfect the ship.

Sailors aboard the USS Kidd guided-missile destroyer arrived at Naval Base San Diego, where all sailors will be isolated off-ship and undergo twice-daily screenings for COVID-19, according to the Navy.

Crewmembers who test negative for the virus will enter quarantine and have daily visits from doctors to monitor any symptoms. A small number of sailors who have tested negative will remain on the ship for essential operations and deep-cleaning.

The Navy said as of Tuesday, health officials had tested 45 percent of USS Kidd crewmembers for COVID-19. There are 47 confirmed cases among crewmembers.

“Sailors have called San Diego home for many years, and we’re especially thankful for that relationship now,” said Commander, Naval Surface Forces Vice Adm. Richard Brown. “Taking care of our Sailors and cleaning this ship is a team effort, and we’re fortunate that the partnership between the Navy and the city of San Diego is allowing us to focus on that mission.”

The Navy says the USS Kidd was at sea participating in counter-narcotics operations when several sailors started showing flu-like symptoms.

One sailor was medically evacuated to the U.S. on April 22 after experiencing shortness of breath, the Navy said. The Navy redirected the USS Makin Island to rendezvous with the USS Kidd to provided medical facilities and testing.

Fifteen sailors who needed more observation were transported to the Makin Island out of an abundance of caution. A second sailor was also medically evacuated back to the U.S., while the Kidd began cleaning efforts, the Navy says.

None of the USS Kidd’s positive cases have required ventilators or ICU treatment, according to the Navy.

While in San Diego, the ship will undergo a strategic deep-cleaning regimen, room-by-room. The process will take about two weeks, according to the Navy. Those aboard the ship are wearing personal protection equipment, including N95 masks, and physically distancing.
    Sailors will also be required to report any symptoms.

This story was originally published by Mark Saunders on KGTV in San Diego.

sumac.carol
    Participant

If you are still thinking that lockdowns emotional impact is a nothing burger, please think again. The ACE study of childhood trauma is unparalleled in the quality of data on the subject of childhood trauma. According to this report, childhood trauma can reduce life expectancy by decades. How can one not consider this impact?

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/2009/oct/06/traumatic-childhood-takes-20-years-life-expectancy/

Okay here’s another one-Japan has three times the population of Canada and one third the number of covid cases, in spite of a much laxer lockdown.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/photos-japan-state-of-emergency-1.5546072

Here’s one more for the road (sorry for it being do long -it was a comment on an article on covid:

I’m an ER doc and do some admin work so have been VERY busy preparing for COVID.
    I have a vested interest in flattening the curve as I don’t want to have a Bergamo or NYC situation in my ER’s.
    That said, it is now VERY clear that this virus is not an indiscriminate killer of random healthy young folks. Rather, it’s emptying out nursing homes and knocking off people who have serious medical problems. In Italy, average age of death was 78. If you understand demographic curves, and mean vs. median, you’ll realize this means the majority are over 78. In Ontario, only 40 of 550 deaths so far were under 60, and almost certainly few or none were healthy people pre-COVID.
    The other thing I have seen is young healthy people with lots of potentially productive and happy years ahead of them coming to bad ends because of delayed care due to COVID fears and hospital program shutdowns, and definitely some deaths of young folks in our province have been caused by COVID lockdown.
    So what we are seeing is a trade-off. We are sacrificing younger people by COVID lockdown, to save people (or delay death, because it’s not clear we can prevent COVID in the long term) to save older, more unwell people.
    The head of the UN world food program estimates that 30million may die from starvation due to the lockdown’s effect on food production and the economy.
    We need to open our eyes and realize that we cause suffering if we don’t lock down, but we cause suffering if we do. We need to do a step-wise rollback of the lockdown in a way that keeps our ER’s and ICU’s functional and not completely overwhelmed. But right now Canada’s problem in most provinces is empty hospitals and a lack of care for the average patient in need.

₿oogaloo
    Participant

We believe science. We trust the doctors. Unless they’re California ER doctors with 5 million views. Then we delete them.

I stopped reading right there. These two doctors messed up the statistics pretty badly — their views are based on bad science and bad math. The most concise takedown was posted over on Mish’s site. Having said that, the WHO is not a reliable source of information either, and Youtube is making a big mistake by making WHO the final arbiter of truth.

VietnamVet
    Participant

The world has separated into nations who controlled the Wuhan coronavirus, and those who didn’t. The USA has the added problem that the food supply chain is breaking down. Right now there are shortages of meat, vegetables and goods for a stay at home population. If the West did what the Asian and South Pacific nations did, they would have the same outcome. But that means restoring competent national governments and public health system that provides all the healthcare and food they need plus a safe shelter for the infected. Instead, the professional managerial class will seize assets, profiteering on lost American lives. The lockdown will evaporate. The death toll will climb from the Vietnam War to the US Civil War levels. Millions more will die; if the wild cat strikes escalate, the food shortages become permanent, the virus overwhelms the nation’s hospitals, and the USA splinters apart.

Tyson Food is offering a $1,000 dollars to its workers. This is a living hell with no alternative. Risking respiratory death by downing at home or in the ICU if space is available just to pay a couple of weeks of bills. This is the replay of the sacrifices at Chernobyl without the valor.

₿oogaloo
    Participant

sumac, do you really think you can compare Japan and Canada? Do you really mean to suggest that Canada would have the same lower infection rate as Japan if it had a more lax lockdown like Japan? Not sure where you are coming from. In Japan most people go along with recommendations voluntarily, so there is no need for the hammer. I am not sure that is the case in Western societies.

As for the emotional impact of lockdowns, that is certainly undeniable, especially for people just barely getting by. But isn’t the real problem that these people have no backstop? In countries that are not so leveraged, or where people have more savings, or where there is a more generous safety net, I do not think that the emotional impact is as severe. So rather than call for an end to the lockdowns, how about if we revisit why there is no safety net in the US, and why so many people are just barely getting by, and why wealth inequality just keeps getting worse and worse? Maybe those are the issues we should be tackling. Like answering why nobody bats an eye when the Fed transfers 4 trillion to the banks, or when we have a record military budget, but then there is no money for the people because there is no way to pay for it.

V. Arnold
    Participant

V Vet
    Tyson Food is offering a $1,000 dollars to its workers. This is a living hell with no alternative. Risking respiratory death by downing at home or in the ICU if space is available just to pay a couple of weeks of bills. This is the replay of the sacrifices at Chernobyl without the valor.

How are you doing. Six weeks shut in alone is no picnic; even for this hermit…
    Keep posting; your posts are poignant and well worth reading.
    Take care…

Boogaloo

Your closing paragraph of questions is rhetotical at best and will never be answered…
    …but of course, you know the answer as well as I do…
    Keep on keeping on…………… 😉

null

₿oogaloo
    Participant

Ilargi, correct hemisphere, but rather than the 40th parallel, I was thinking more in line with the 10th:

₿oogaloo
    Participant

Your closing paragraph of questions is rhetorical at best and will never be answered…

I haven’t given up on sumac yet. I am sure someone so keen on persuading others will engage in the dialogue.

V. Arnold
    Participant

I am sure someone so keen on persuading others will engage in the dialogue.

She is persistant; I’ll give her that….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.