Debt Rattle August 15 2023

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 15 2023

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    zerosum
    Participant

TAE Summary
    – The universe has a trillion galaxies, each with 100 billion stars;

There are more particles than life energy.
    Every energy strives to reach a state of rest/calm/peace/balance with particles/space/zero energy.

– There are things we still don’t understand about the cosmos but as science advance we understand more and more

aspnaz
    Participant

DBS said

It turns out that upon CLOSE inspection the overwhelming majority of EVERYBODY knows (or at least acknowledges as fact or probable fact), that there is a God who they could (if they chose) directly interact with in one way or another (prayer being the most common).

Simply not true in China. Sure, in the western world where religion is crammed down your throat and kids do “religious studies” (usually Christian studies) in school. I am sure Dr Day can explain how the Japanese also do not have a God complex, although some would say they look to their Emperor as both a real person and as a God, but not the sort of God you are talking about. You are reflecting YOUR culture, it does not apply to EVERYBODY. Sure, in Africa, where missionaries spent many years saving the locals, you will find many Christians, but that is just the spread of western culture to Africa, in the same way as the electric guitar is popular in Africa.

aspnaz
    Participant

DBS said

There were and are, of course, people who just outright disagree, usually because they didn’t get something that they wanted or were betrayed by some liar.

Why belittle people who disagree with you, portraying them as spoilt children? Is your case not strong enough to stand up by itself so you have to attack anyone who questions your arguments and thinks differently? As I said in one of my earlier posts, you are channeling Billy Graham, you say my way or you are LOST. Authoritarian clap trap, you are not preaching tolerance, you are preaching your way is the right way and all others are spoilt chilren.

Well, we are back where we started, the religious zealot versus the questioner. You have no understanding of why people disagree with you because you cannot understand how they could possibly disagree with you. You are ignorant of what they believe. I do not, absolutely do not believe that you can talk to God, I do not believe in miracles either, but I am happy for others to do so as long as they have the grace to accept that I do not believe their beliefs.

Let’s not forget that all beliefs are a personal choice, not a fact, so this has nothing to do with tangible science or anything else other than your choice of a model of existence in your head. Until there is proof that either belief is FACT, I will choose my own beliefs. Why are you so loathed to allow others to believe differently?

aspnaz
    Participant

DBS said

The tiniest minority who are the MOST wrong about it are insisting upon being GIVEN total control over the lives, thoughts and very existence of those people who are the most right. And , furthermore, upon whom the tiny minority depends for literally EVERYTHING because those puny few in the smallest minority can do literally NOTHING for themselves.

How can you be wrong about a belief? It is a belief because there is no scientific proof, it is all made up and in your head. You are now accusing me

The tiniest minority who are the MOST wrong about it

which I assume includes me, of

insisting upon being GIVEN total control over the lives, thoughts and very existence of those people who are the most right.

Absolute lie. What is wrong with you religious zealots, you are accusing me of exactly what you are doing, like the Democrats accusing Trump. You have no tolerance, all you are showing me is that your ego cannot cope with a different viewpoint, a different belief, you have to have everybody else thinking your way or they are the enemy.

You mentioned in an earlier post that you thought we were “allies”, as if we were conspiring against some enemy. But now I understand, we are no longer allies, I am the enemy, because I do not believe what you believe about the existence of and communication with your God. We are now enemies because you have no tolerance, you have no humility in your thoughts, you are the authoritarian. You do not have the grace to recognise others as your equal, as people with their own rights to their own beliefs.

zerosum
    Participant

I want to see an interesting political challenge/cat fight
    Meghan McCain (R) vs Hillary Clinton (D)

And if I mix the two and sift, I end up with this:
    “Theists will never know how wrong they were”
    “Once they die atheists will realize how wrong they were”
    Lovely, as always, TAE Summary.

Hell. What a concept.

Veracious Poet
    Participant

What silly discussions “humans” engage in, when their factitious constructs (whether individual -or- communal derived ideations) are called into question & chagrined 🙄

I have entered the “spiritual” debate before (avoiding ersatz edicts of man-made religious dogmatic “thinking”), with such simple admonitions to my brothers & sisters as Consider The Flower (thanks brother Buddha), that “God” (for lack of a better word) is *mostly* beyond our comprehension, yet infinitely knowable…

I don’t believe, *I know* that The Loving, Healing, Creative Power of Universal LIFE is not a theory; Indeed “God” *is* Real Reality, yet due to *absolute* FREE WILL “God” is rejected routinely, to what ends (or fate) I do not yet know.

Neither does anyone else *know* that currently resides within this *finite* dimension 😉

I do know that *all* non-psychopathic “humans” demand that The Golden Rule as a *truth* be applied to them, their communities, families & children, without exception, but as a species “humans” ubiquitously deny it to other “living” cohabitants on planet Earth (and beyond?)…

Peace & Spiritual Sanity to all 🙂

Veracious Poet
    Participant

Historical reminder, as I depart…

Atrocities in the Congo *Free* State:

In the period from 1885 to 1908, many atrocities were perpetrated in the Congo Free State (today the Democratic Republic of the Congo) which, at the time, was a state under the absolute rule of King Leopold II of the Belgians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrocities_in_the_Congo_Free_State

Monument of colonial propaganda to Leopold II in Arlon, southern Belgium, erected in 1951: “I undertook the work of the Congo in the interest of civilization (today the UniParty GlobalCap Empire) and for the good of Belgium.”

Colonization 2020-2023:

EOT.

Oroboros
    Participant

China has a military industrial production capacity at least ten times Russia, which in turn is ten times bigger than NATO=NAZI-land.

Eurotardistan has no military industrial capacity at all compared to Russia & China combined into one.

Eurotardistan has no natural resources.

Eurotardistan has no political unity.

Eurotardistan has no solid currency or form of payment

Eurotardistan is Shit-Out-of-Luck

Good luck on breaking relations with China & Russia at the same time and hyperinflating the cost of goods in Has Been Rumpland

The Future of the Peoples Chinese Liberation Army Warfare Shown On TV

This is what the Chinese public is being conditioned to embrace.

ezlxa1949
    Participant

A couple of quick thoughts prompted by the [a]theism thread.

If this life is all there is, then when it’s over I won’t care or be bothered by anything or anybody because I will have ceased to exist. I will know nothing. I’ll be safely dead, as I like to say. Comforting in a way. Do your worst!, I snarl at my oppressors! Soon I’ll be beyond your reach!

If no god[s] of any description exist[s], if this universe is all that ever was, is, or ever will be, then everything we think and do and care about is in the long run utterly pointless and meaningless. All our hopes and dreams, cares and worries, triumphs and defeats, joy and pain, dissipate into useless energy floating around in an ever-expanding void of black nothingness. The heat death of the universe in other words.

And maybe we completely misunderstand who and what this “god” is. Why not? We completely misunderstand so much about everything else.

oxymoron
    Participant

Welcome James aka ‘run to the hills’ good to have you in print, in person and on the phone.
    Loved your opening remarks.

Re the God stuff.
    Much of the commentary makes an assumption (TAE Summary for eg) that GOD has interaction with the physical or manifests the physical and thus has interaction somehow in moral or immoral storytelling or judgement etc.
    Another POV would be GOD is and is the everything that each mind is allowed to imagine WITH.
    Spirit being God and thus indestructible allness of IS doesn’t concern itself with fantasies of time, death, Azov, TAE, virus or anything ephemeral. They must – like all observable phenomena, be the plaything of ego – the split mind that imagines it exists and sees a universe to support it’s hypothesis of specialness. Or self-createdness
    All questions are questions of authority. Who Authored me? If someone cuts you off in traffic and you get pissed – you are saying that they authored you – ‘look God – it wasn’t me who left your oneness – it was this arsehole – smite her!’ Same with Schiff, Gates, Nuland, Schwabb and all the other ‘hated ones’.
    Their great gift is they give us a chance to project, deny and hide. We will never face our Authorship when there is a world that made me – that I get to hate and deride and scorn and judge and mourn and love and want to touch and experience.
    Alternatively the idea is that there is nobody here and nothing to defend or attack, only lessons to learn is another possibility. We can argue that ‘who is this that is thinking and talking and hurting then?’
    It is not a question. It is a childish statement, one we all make each day and must be gently forgiven for wanting to ask the unaskable question. ‘Why am I here?’

You aren’t.

You just seem to be like I seem to be.

Just a thought..
    Also – fucking hate Adam Schiff and I do think he had Anthony Bourdain killed.
    Just bought myself another week in hell
    ha aha hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Michael Reid
    Participant

@ DBS

How about the position:
    we do not know if there is “God”

Since we do not know

How about the position:
    We will not invent ideas about “God”

D Benton Smith
    Participant

@aspnaz

The only way that I could parse this out is with a sort of “line item” approach. Below is the complete word-for-word rendition of the last comment that you addressed to me. Your words are enclosed by brackets and quote marks, like this : [“ your words “] . My replies to what you wrote in each bracketed section are written below the relevant section, before moving on to the next, in turn, until I’ve covered the whole thing. Let’s get started.

[“How can you be wrong about a belief?”]

When a belief is discordant from what actually “is” (in other words, different from truth) then one can say either that the belief is wrong or that the person believing it is “wrong”. The difference is virtually “the same difference”, as the old idiom goes, which is to say that it means nearly the same thing either way. The point is that accordance with truth = right, and discordance from truth = wrong.

An interesting corollary to this point is that the veracity of an asserted or “believed” fact is independent of how many people “believe” it. Everyone or no one believing in something has absolutely no bearing on whether it is true or not.

[“It is a belief because there is no scientific proof ……”]

All so-called “scientific proof” rests absolutely and intractably on the foundation of belief. A humorously funny way of saying that is, “Everybody has to believe in something, and I believe that I’m looking at proof.” Like Max Planck (and many others) have said, there is simply no getting around it. There has to be awareness BEFORE there can be awareness of evidence.

By the way, that also happens to be a “First Principles” axiom of scientific thought and procedure, and is therefore itself strong evidence of the primordial existence an aware God. If you cannot (or “will” not) grasp or accept such a fundamentally self-evident fact then there very little no point in attempting to understand the scientific method, and no point at all in arguing with me.

[“…… it is all made up and in your head.”]

Why, thank you, but I’m afraid that I am FAR too stupid to make up that much stuff, or fit it into my head.

[“You are now accusing me “]

Since you didn’t finish the phrase or state what it was you thought I was accusing you of then there is no way I can either admit or deny it definitively. Let me try a different approach. If it was a true accusation then I admit it, and if it was a false accusation then I deny it. How’s that?

[“The tiniest minority who are the MOST wrong about it
    which I assume includes me, ………..”]

You assume incorrectly. I do NOT consider you to be anywhere even close to that tiniest minority of evil God haters. I currently place you in the category of loudly assertive self identifying “atheists” who place the blame for their cognitive failures and lack of understanding mostly or only upon others.

[“ ………… of insisting upon being GIVEN total control over the lives, thoughts and very existence of those people who are the most right. Absolute lie.”]

I don’t think that you actually believe that I’m a liar. I do think that the angry aggressive language is being used as a means to avoid the discomforting thought that I am making some very good points which you can not satisfactorily disprove or dismiss (because they are true.)

[“What is wrong with you religious zealots,………..”]

I’m not at all religious. Although I find a tremendous amount to admire and agree with in most religions, and understand quite extensively both their vital importance AND and their many failings. I’m also not a zealot, and am perfectly willing to stop talking to you about these things whenever you call a stop.

[“………….you are accusing me of exactly what you are doing, like the Democrats accusing Trump.”]

I still can’t figure out just what it is that you think I’m accusing you of. If you want me to stop doing something then first you’ve got to tell me what it is. Spell out what it is so that I know what to cease and desist.
    And what does Trump have to do with any of this? Discussion of Trump is just too far into the weeds for me in this conversation, and I’m not interested.

[“You have no tolerance, all you are showing me is that your ego cannot cope with a different viewpoint, a different belief, you have to have everybody else thinking your way or they are the enemy.”]

I’m tolerant enough to continue talking to you in a civilized tone. I don’t view you as an enemy. You have the right to be wrong, just as I have the right to say so, and why it is so. I simply don’t get how you equate my disagreement with your erroneous idea somehow (and thereby) equates with me thinking that “everybody” has to see things my way. I am simply telling you true things. That’s it and that’s all.

[“You mentioned in an earlier post that you thought we were “allies”, as if we were conspiring against some enemy. But now I understand, we are no longer allies, I am the enemy, because I do not believe what you believe about the existence of and communication with your God.”]

I thought then, and I still think now, that we are allies in a fight against a common enemy.

[“We are now enemies because you have no tolerance,……..”]

We are not enemies, but I’m willing to tolerate your thinking so.

[“you have no humility in your thoughts,”]

Man, oh man, Aspnaz, if you could see inside my mind for even a moment you would instantly know how monumentally untrue and unfair that charge is.

[“……….you are the authoritarian.”]

I am not.

[“You do not have the grace to recognize others as your equal, as people with their own rights to their own beliefs.”]

You are my equal, at the very least, and have every right to your own beliefs. You also have the right to revise your beliefs and have new ones which are in closer alignment with the world as it actually is, and thereby survive more successfully.

D Benton Smith
    Participant

@MichaelReid

How about the position:
    we do not know if there is “God”
    Since we do not know
    How about the position:
    We will not invent ideas about “God”

That position would be completely reasonable to take if one did, indeed, not know. But there are some (maybe even most) have come to know that there is “God”. Getting to that position is not necessarily fast or easy (understatement) but once you DO know, well, you cannot very easily un-know it. It is more certain than literally everything (and anything) else that could possibly supplant it.
    Admittedly, a lot of people have invented a lot of ideas, about what God might imaginably be. such invention and speculation is worlds apart from discovering what God is.

Veracious Poet
    Participant

Is Afrika finally waking up?

What’s a colonizer to do?

Note: If anyone thinks the UniParty GlobalCap Imperialists are just gonna fold like a cheap suit, I’ve got some freshly minted $20k bitcoins to sell you…

Kimo
    Participant

John Day,
    Mahalo for the insight on our Governor, I am sadly deficient in local politics, since the departure of Tulsi. Concerning Lahaina on the 8th, those brutal winds were pretty much in alignment with the trades, which probably offered a boost. I also experienced that direction in my own location, which makes sense for a hurricane passing south of the islands. The link below will show daily weather recorded at Kahului, on the other side of mauka. Passing over the mountains squeezes every last drop of moisture, setting the stage for getting hotter, faster, as it raced to Lahaina. Ouch. Those poor parents that lost keiki as school was canceled, but parents still worked. Was Honolulu’s Chinatown the last such devastating fire?
    kimo

https://www.wunderground.com/history/daily/us/hi/kahului/PHOG

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.