Debt Rattle December 6 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle December 6 2017

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Balthus Therèse dreaming 1938   • Just How Big Could The Next Correction Be? (Roberts)
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle December 6 2017]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Co-incidentally, or not; Balthus Therèse dreaming 1938; now showing at New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art, has created a controversy; some objecting to its display.
    [A tangent: As a grade-schooler, my father used to take me into NYC on his business trips (skipping school); museums were a prime goal and the joys of my life; not the least of which was the Metropolitan Museum of Art; I was turned loose for hours to roam those hallowed halls and chambers.]
    Back to my point above; IMO, that perfectly encapsulates the present U.S. attitude towards art and free expression on every and all levels.
    Little by little; all forms of free expression are coming under attack; the ultimate censorship of everything not government approved.
    Orwellian is certainly apropos to describe the present, in the U.S..

Dr. D
    Participant

First, Yellowstone at 3k sq\mi is 1/20th the size of New York. Even adding 1/4 of the surrounding states to make it equal to 54k sq\mi, there are 900 Townships in New York. Anyone guess what the range and food requirements for a 700lb bear are in a sparse, wintery area like Yellowstone? I’m guessing it ain’t good. So one bear per township, accounting for a few human places taking up space doesn’t sound too far off. …Unless you want to start putting out food subsidies for them. But it’s hard to tell from here — I’d have to ask people in Wyoming instead of having a bunch of mall-shopping writers tell them what to do. Certainly wolves quickly escalated into a western problem after their reintroduction.

Say, didn’t London have a big problem with unoccupied mansions? I think I found the answer for your 130,000 homeless. /sarc

pstevens3307
    Participant

Paul Craig Roberts and others continue to insist that “what we are witnessing in the US and indeed throughout the western world is the total failure of capitalism.” I say that’s bunk: capitalism is still working precisely according to plan. The Titans of Industry ensure that the tax code is rewritten to squeeze more out of the poor and into their own pockets, and the pundits keep shaking their heads at the supposed stupidity of this strategy. But while the uber-rich might (in some cases, at least) be evil, I don’t think it’s a good idea to assume they’re stupid. More likely they can see the writing on the wall. They can see that limitless growth is finally hitting the limits of a finite planet, so they’re cashing out, and to hell with the rest of us peons who have to deal with the consequences. They’ve moved on to other things, i.e. how to survive the crash when it comes so that they can continue to rule what remains of the planet.

Nassim
    Participant

Homelessness of children in the UK obviously has no connection to the mass movement of people to the UK over the past 30 years from the 3rd world.

The number of children per woman has been in decline for a very long time and everyone agrees that those who are not ethnically-British/Polish/Irish etc. have far more kids per woman.

Nassim
    Participant

randyjewart
    Participant

Raul —

I love this blog. Thanks so much for what you and Nicole are doing. I’ll make a donation to support my readership and/or your Greek food pantry if you will please refrain from posting patriarchal, misogynist, pedophiliac art work with the posts. I’m trying to educate my high school daughters and my wife about the important financial information posted here, and it’s problematic to show the articles while they have to look at an under-age girl’s panties or some old lady peeping through a window at a model’s (prostitute’s?) naked butt.

The feminist critique of the male gaze in western fine art and culture could be discussed here with as much rigor as your financial analyses, and I’m happy to go there, but it’s also a simple request that might just be honored among respectful permaculture colleagues?

I have an Art History degree from The College of William and Mary and I love the landscapes and portraits and abstractions, thanks!

Farm-forth!
    Randy

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.