Debt Rattle Feb 3 2014: The Future Of Our Children Is Taking Shape Today

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle Feb 3 2014: The Future Of Our Children Is Taking Shape Today

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Arthur Rothstein Homesteader raising baby chicks, Bankhead Farms, Alabama February 1939 The Future Of Our Children Is Taking Shape Today. Ask any pare
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle Feb 3 2014: The Future Of Our Children Is Taking Shape Today]

rapier
    Participant

“And I’m naive enough that I don’t understand why people let that happen.”

Yes it is more than a little naive. The naive mistake I think is to imagine that in modern representative democracies that things can happen starting at the bottom. What is needed is institutional leaders to take up a cause or an idea. The civil rights movement in the US was not a success that sprang simply from the bottom. Powerful people and their institutions, including Lyndon Johnson’s Democratic party came along and lead change.

There is not as far as I know more than a tiny handful of people with institutional power, be it governmental (Elizabeth Warren or a few others) , corporate or the large area between the two, who believes there is anything other than what I will call the neo liberal orthodoxy that can or should operate our political economy. (Political Economy is a rather antiquated term admittedly) That orthodoxy being the belief in markets as the arbiter of most everything and not just markets but the ones we have now.

One simply does not get to positions of institutional power or even usually seek it anymore if you have any kind of alternate view of how the world works or should work. We can be absolutely certain that there was not a single person in the corporate or government world in either a position of power or given a public forum who was sympathetic to something like Occupy Wall Street. An example I choose because it was organized for political action but no leaders took up the cause. Instead it was denigrated. As I knew it would be. It was a Quixotic effort. So how are people going to rise up? For what? They don’t even know. There is not even any language for them to use. Only the the ideas and words of reaction supplied by the right to the growing right rump of the GOP.

In America there has never been a peoples movement that did a thing on its own.

This all is a profound danger. If, or when, the AE scenarios begin to unfold there will be an absolute political vacuum. Of course there was a vacuum from 1929 to 33 as well.

https://goldsilverchat.com/gsc/archive/index.php/t-4088.html

But FDR had a small but significant army of alt thinkers to draw on when he came in and his own ideas about the nature of the banking and financial elites.

“Primarily this is because the rulers of the exchange of mankind’s goods have failed, through their own stubbornness and their own incompetence, have admitted their failure, and abdicated. Practices of the unscrupulous money changers stand indicted in the court of public opinion, rejected by the hearts and minds of men.

True they have tried, but their efforts have been cast in the pattern of an outworn tradition. Faced by failure of credit they have proposed only the lending of more money. Stripped of the lure of profit by which to induce our people to follow their false leadership, they have resorted to exhortations, pleading tearfully for restored confidence. They know only the rules of a generation of self-seekers. They have no vision, and when there is no vision the people perish.

The money changers have fled from their high seats in the temple of our civilization. We may now restore that temple to the ancient truths. The measure of the restoration lies in the extent to which we apply social values more noble than mere monetary profit.

Happiness lies not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort. The joy and moral stimulation of work no longer must be forgotten in the mad chase of evanescent profits. These dark days will be worth all they cost us if they teach us that our true destiny is not to be ministered unto but to minister to ourselves and to our fellow men.”

Try to imagine who could even hint at such things now.

rapier
    Participant

deleted

boilingfrog
    Participant

To R Rapier’s point, I just got done watching theGerman interview on LiveLeak with Snowden and in some ways he seems like a man looking back over his shoulder while leading a charge and seeing… nothing!

To anyone with the patience to answer a very simple question… While talking with a friend the other day regarding the “World of Change” type issues, he simply said, “Fiat currencies are all faith-based anyway, so why don’t we just keep the faith and it all moves along fine?”

He doesn’t really believe it will, nor do I (history does have something to teach us), but I was not able to give a clear answer. Do financial players “attack” a country or position eventually (never quite understood how they “attack” a currency, country…). Do the markets eventually take over bond/interest rates?

My way of understanding (part of) the current situation is that we ARE in a depression/deflation, but the money is going to buy all this bad paper… just reading the numbers on DB’s derivatives tells you that that is a bottomless pit… that paper will never be paid off and then hyperinflation start.

Guess I’ll just go back to work, strive to be worth more than I’m paid, stay out of debt, learn skills, take care of the garden and the chickens, continue building a small community of semi-like-minded folk… (but I am curious about this “higher-level” financial thinking stuff…)

Professorlocknload
    Participant

“No, it’s not just around the corner, Phoenix Capital, it’s here.”

Is this a prediction, that this is “it?” Or is this just a dip in a long slow return to hard reality, when the pols finally realize there is nothing they can peacefully do to save their corporate constituents, so turn to the only thing they know?

Trouble with these things is, political solutions tend to aggravate the problem. That’s why they always end in war. And, as we know, wars develop a life of their own once set loose, so outcome is never certain.

Two great examples above, LBG’s Guns and Butter and its effect on Southeast Asia, and FDR needing WWII to cover his ineptitude. The man didn’t end the Depression, he extended it a decade by fiddling with it, rather than just letting it default, deflate and reset. https://mises.org/rothbard/agd.pdf

Bank “Holiday” my ass, he should have left ’em open to the razing they deserved. But then, he had “Power” he had to answer to as well.

Lest I be placed within the Red Pill, Blue Pill paradigm, I have no use for Machiavellian Princes of any stripe, power corrupting absolutely. It was these types that created the protection necessary for these Financial Wizards to destroy otherwise Free Markets in the first place.

Keep ’em coming, Ilargi. A real work in progress unfolding here.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.