Debt Rattle February 20 2015

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle February 20 2015

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

NPC “Witt-Will motor truck plant, 52 N Street N.E., Washington, DC” 1915 • Greece, Eurozone Close To A Deal Before Friday’s Eurogroup (Reuters) • Gree
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle February 20 2015]

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

“Seas are rising more than twice as fast as the global average here in the Sundarbans”

Maybe I’m missing something here, but doesn’t the sea level have to rise the same pretty much everywhere? I mean unless the rotation of the earth is different there.

Perhaps they mean subsidence? Where the LAND sinks while the seas remain average?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidence

BTW this is also the well-known problem in Venice with long-term subsidence bringing the Mediterranean over the popular square. Also happens in New Orleans as the Mississippi and its silt has been diverted. And many other places I’m sure: probably half of them.

I’m embarrassed the world can read this stuff credibly. Next thing, the sun will rise in one place and not another.

Doc Robinson
    Participant

“Seas are rising more than twice as fast as the global average here in the Sundarbans”

“Encroaching”, including the effects of erosion, would make more sense than “rising”.

Quoted from the full article:

“A 2013 study by the Zoological Society of London measured the Sundarbans coastline retreating at about 200 meters (650 feet) a year. The Geological Survey of India says at least 210 square kilometers (81 square miles) of coastline on the Indian side has eroded in the last few decades. At least four islands are underwater and dozens of others have been abandoned due to sea rise and erosion.”

Greenpa
    Participant

“Maybe I’m missing something here, but doesn’t the sea level have to rise the same pretty much everywhere? I mean unless the rotation of the earth is different there.”

Hard to ask for more lucid proof that a) you know nothing whatsoever about geology or oceanography – or the earth, and that b) the probability you’re just a paid troll is way over 70%.

Gravity
    Participant

Reports are conflicting, surely Greece has not promised to renegotiate with the troika, including the IMF. To again accept talks with the troika would definitely be a ‘caving in’ of Syriza’s negotiating position, as they explicitly ran on an election promise not to.

Greece could use the opportunity to finally declare the IMF to be a criminal organisation perpetrating serial genocide and to issue international arrest warrants for their directorate as well as dissolve all debts to them. Varoufakis said he doesn’t have a problem with the troika partners, but he should. The IMF especially is an affront to human dignity with such a high kill count in poor nations, those bastards have to be taken down sometime. Refusing to negotiate with this sick extortionist cartel has symbolic value for democratic resistance everywhere.

The IMF mandated austerity program has predictably shortened greek life expectancy by years, cutting off basic healthcare, social programs and inducing poverty related stress and suicides to go off the scale, as it has done before in many countries. No government can ever be authorised to accept such loan terms if implementation lowers life expectancy with mathematical certainty, but the IMF deliberately misrepresents the human consequences of their imposed social cuts to trick governments into accepting their program.

Syriza’s negotiations may concede to the point where they [fake] promise to reinstate much of the murderous austerity, but such conditions attached to more unrepayable loans cannot be seen to be dictated by the troika again, anything but that, it would alienate them from their electorate and precipitate more bloody IMF riots ahead of schedule.

Greenpa
    Participant

“He wasn’t brought up the way you were brought up and I was brought up through love of this country.”

And there is a (tiny) grain of truth in that statement; making it far more durable, and destructive. Obama was brought up – Hawaiian. As was I, partially. I even went to the same school – a few years before he did, and had 2 siblings graduate from it. Guess what? It’s a little different perspective- out there in the ocean.

rapier
    Participant

The deal as outlined at Zero Hedge.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-02-20/how-greece-folded-germany-complete-breakdown

So it appears the Greeks pretty much folded. On paper anyway it seems not much has changed. That won’t solve anything of course but the Greeks and everyone live another day. One way or another that’s always the decision politicians take and they have to.

The “austerity” the Greek people would face if they left the EU would be an order of magnitude worse than now. The promise to end austerity by Syriza was an impossible one. The only honest promise would have been to say we are going to have to tighten the belts some more in order to gain real independence again. But if that had been said they would not have won the election. It’s like Catch 22.

Voters like everyone else want an easy way out and when that isn’t possible want to live another day. The man at the door with the money says ‘here you go, take it and live another day’, That is the only viable political decision. None of this is going to end by choice.

I will continue to suspect that Tsipras and Varoufakis also were given an offer they couldn’t refuse, Godfather style. As in turn down the deal and soon enough you would no longer be the government.

Ken Barrows
    Participant

Tsipras and Varoufakis should stop talking about “growth.” Their public statements are hankering for a world in the rearview mirror.

Dr. Diablo
    Participant

“I mean unless the rotation of the earth is different there.” /sarcasm

Clearly. I wasn’t even addressing the issue of whether sea levels are rising. Only bringing up my belief that because of gravity, most probably the sea rises and falls equally on all shores.

If not, I’m open to the science that makes this possible. Hit me.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Dr. Diablo

Due to a number of factors; the Atlantic and Pacific are approximately 6′ different in height relative to each other.
    Gravity variations, rotational velocity, and tides.
    But then you are stretching my long ago knowledge of such things.
    Cheers

Raleigh
    Participant

rapier – “The promise to end austerity by Syriza was an impossible one. The only honest promise would have been to say we are going to have to tighten the belts some more in order to gain real independence again. But if that had been said they would not have won the election. It’s like Catch 22.”

Perhaps it wasn’t just about winning the election. I think they actually do care about their country and the poor people’s lives. The following article sets out who really benefitted from the “debt til you drop” years:

“Greece has failed to address such problems because the country’s elites have a vested interest in keeping things as they are. Since the early 1990s, a handful of wealthy families — an oligarchy in all but name — has dominated Greek politics. These elites have preserved their positions through control of the media and through old-fashioned favoritism, sharing the spoils of power with the country’s politicians. Greek legislators, in turn, have held on to power by rewarding a small number of professional associations and public-sector unions that support the status quo. Even as European lenders have put the country’s finances under a microscope, this arrangement has held. […]

By bailing out Greece without demanding fundamental reforms, the European Central Bank, the European Commission, and the International Monetary Fund have only strengthened the status quo. Even worse, the troika has lined the pockets of the very forces that brought about the economic collapse in the first place.”

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/142196/pavlos-eleftheriadis/misrule-of-the-few

rapier
    Participant

RE Raleigh

In the big picture, beyond just Greece, it is a lie that “austerity” will end. The only issue is how much and how fast in each place. Well that is the issue to we who subscribe to the AE premise.

The article should be seen in the same light. They say it’s about Greece but its about everywhere. Cut “families” from this quote and it applies to the US, in spades. Here it is not families so much as corporations via their interlocking interests.

Since the early 1990s, a handful of wealthy families — an oligarchy in all but name — has dominated Greek politics. These elites have preserved their positions through control of the media and through old-fashioned favoritism, sharing the spoils of power with the country’s politicians. Greek legislators, in turn, have held on to power by rewarding a small number of professional associations and public-sector unions that support the status quo. Even as European lenders have put the country’s finances under a microscope, this arrangement has held. […]

Raleigh
    Participant

rapier – so that’s that? What’s done is done, what’s stolen is stolen? I say go back on every single one of those mothers who made a fortune skimming, taking bribes, confiscate the proceeds of crime (all of it), strip them of their togas, and hand them a nice orange jumpsuit. Use the proceeds to do whatever will help the country.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.