Debt Rattle January 2 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle January 2 2017

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Horacio Coppola Avenida de Mayo entre Bolívar y Perú, Buenos Aires 1936   UPDATE: There is a problem with our Paypal widget/account that makes do
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle January 2 2017]

V. Arnold
    Participant

We’ve become a self destructive, self loathing species since we gave up our hunter/gatherer lifestyle.
    But the worst of it is; we’re exporting it across the planet and destroying the remaining sovereign native nations.

SteveB
    Participant

The implicit message to poachers: We’re all playing this game with you and we don’t want to stop, we just want you to stop cheating. Good luck with that. Bye-bye megafauna. It’s all in the game.

V. Arnold
    Participant

SteveB
    That indeed, seems to be the message and the game.
    Remember? Earth First; we’ll log the other planets later?
    That’s from 40 years ago and nothing’s changed to this day.

Dr. D
    Participant

• Britain’s Benefits System Has Become A Racket For Cheating Poor People (G.)

A thousand and one times this is what government does, yet people still want and expect government to fix the problem. We’d be able to fix it except government has stolen and wasted all the money we’d use to fill the gap they’ve created with their helping. Please stop. Just go away. If I could have one Christmas wish it would be to leave the people and their money alone and for God’s sake stop helping. As bad as people are, they still solve these problems 1,000 times better than government.

I’m curious about the use of the word “plastic boat” in the refugee article. Does the author expect in 2018 we’d be using wooden boats? If it were a steel boat would he include the adjective? Most boats of that size are fiberglass and similar, is that considered “plastic”? Since it seems the boats are ill-advisedly landing directly on beaches, functionally they could only use plastic, or as the picture displays, large inflatable rafts the Anglosphere calls “rubber.” They are quite safe for their purpose and used extensively worldwide, so unlike other unfortunate stories in the Mediterranean, a good choice and one which got these people ashore safely. A bit pedantic, perhaps an artifact of translation.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Dr. D
    Isn’t “plastic” boat somewhat of a distraction?
    Who cares what the boat’s made of; regardless; they (the refugees) keep coming.
    Who and what is driving that?
    Isn’t that the question of the moment?
    And it’s somewhat retorical; we all know the answer, no?

zerosum
    Participant

Syrian grandmother defies perils to cross Aegean at age 110

If bullies cannot find a human to be their victims then they will pick on another soft target.

Across Africa, a rhino is slaughtered twice a day and an elephant is killed every 14 minutes.

Dr. D
    Participant

I got tired of talking about it.

Better question, since the war is “over” and thousands have returned home, why not the ones in Greece? Pretty much can’t be worse than the EU concentration camp they’re in now. But wait: the NGOs only have money to get them TO Europe, and none to get them home. …Let’s not even discuss the reparations owed. That wouldn’t wreck and destabilize Europe for power and profits.

Nassim
    Participant

re: “Horacio Coppola Avenida de Mayo entre Bolívar y Perú, Buenos Aires 1936”

I tried to find that location on Google Maps without success. I expect they changed the street names of Bolívar and Perú. I wonder what it looks like now. I doubt if anyone dresses so smartly these days. How did his grandkids fare? So many questions.

It will be interesting to see how many cold winters the USA has to suffer before they change the story and switch to “Global Cooling”

Must keep the peons scared. 🙂

Global Cooling Expected For 2018 …Warming Projection May Be One Of The Great Scientific Blunders Of Modern Times

Nassim
    Participant

Dr D,

Your justified cynicism is refreshing. I gave up asking that question a long while back – in the same way I got fed up asking how did mercenaries from 80+ countries defeat the armies of two countries (Iraq and Syria) without any outside help.

I guess Occam’s razor is getting a bit rusty from disuse.

zerosum
    Participant

We need a new definition.

A mercenary is a person who takes part in an armed conflict who is not a national or a party to the conflict and is “motivated to take part in the hostilities by the desire for private gain.”

olo530
    Participant

We’ve become a self destructive, self loathing species since we gave up our hunter/gatherer lifestyle

V. Arnold, in our defense, it seemed like a good idea at the time 🙂
    And besides, war was invented before agriculture. The Pacific Northwest Coast is probably the best place to live by foraging, all the indigenous people are hunters-gatherers, AFAIK, yet they warred all the time. Agriculture is a military technology at its root.

V. Arnold
    Participant

olo530
    Words matter; warred all the time; simply is not true.
    I lived in Oregon for 40 years; 15 of those were on the coast; Astoria-10; Waldport-5.
    I also read a lot of NW history; a lot of which Involved Europeans trading (17th/18th century) and betraying native peoples.
    I stand by my statement: We’ve become a self destructive, self loathing species since we gave up our hunter/gatherer lifestyle.
    I might also add that wars (battles may be a better description) between native nations were not political, unlike our western culture (I use the word culture guardedly 😉 ).
    No argument agriculture is a military technology; at least in the west.
    Not so true of the native nations of North America re: Howard Zinn.

olo530
    Participant

V. Arnold, this Wikipedia article does a good job explaining what I meant – https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Before_Civilization. Come on, they even had slavery on Vancouver island. And that’s before any Europeans showed up. Being a hunter-gatherer doesn’t make you a paragon of virtue.

V. Arnold
    Participant

olo530
    I said no such thing.
    And slavery goes back more than 6,000 years, at least.
    You’re also changing the conversation;

We’ve become a self destructive, self loathing species since we gave up our hunter/gatherer lifestyle.

Hunter/gatherers generally did not destroy their environment; they didn’t generally wage political wars or commit genocide. You can thank the war god yahweh for that.
    It’s quite simple; I hold western societies (especially the U.S.) responsible for irreparable damage to the planet through willful disregard for the world.
    You may defend that till the cows come home; I’ll not go along with that.

olo530
    Participant

I apologize, I read too much into what you said. In the literal sense hunters-gatherers are not self destructive and while war and slavery are pretty self loathing in my opinion, you didn’t say that. Usually people praising hunters-gatherers subscribe to the noble savage myth, hence I responded to that. My bad.
    Going back to your original statement, I don’t know if I would agree that invention of agriculture (and that’s what we gave up our foraging lifestyle for) was the tipping point. Then why not the control of fire? Or why not thermal food processing?

V. Arnold
    Participant

olo530
    No problem.
    You did say; “Agriculture is a military technology at its root.”
    That may well be true for western cultures and I do see some truth in that.
    But, let’s not make the mistake of comparing, for example, European cultures with native cultures on other continents.
    Zinn offers facts of the eastern North American native nations who grew “Three sisters agriculture” consisting of squash, beans, and corn, all planted together on individual mounds over a sufficient area.
    When the first colonists came they documented vast graneries of these tribes. My point here is, this agriculture was not used as a tool of war by the natives, but rather by the colonist’s as they attacked and destroyed the graneries.
    East meets west!

olo530
    Participant

I don’t know enough about the Atlantic coast to speak with any sort of confidence, but wasn’t widespread ongoing conflict between tribes one of the reasons they couldn’t mount any coherent resistance to the European invaders? I vaguely remember reading something like that.

V. Arnold
    Participant

olo530
    I wouldn’t use the word conflict; tribal would be more apt, IMO.
    The difference is that tribal implies differences rather than necessitating conflict. After all, tribes would interact trading goods, women, and other items (weapons, salt, etc.).
    I would be of the opinion it was more technology than anything else. Oh, and I forgot diseases brought from Europe; that alone devistated many nations across the NA continent.
    An excellent read is Nathaniel Philbrick’s book; Mayflower. Very informative of the interaction between the colonists and the various tribes of Eastern North America.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.