Debt Rattle July 15 2019

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle July 15 2019

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jack Delano L. Logan, boilermaker at the roundhouse in the Proviso yard in Melrose Park, near Chicago 1942   • The Permanent Recession (Haggith)
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle July 15 2019]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Jack Delano L. Logan, boilermaker at the roundhouse in the Proviso yard in Melrose Park, near Chicago 1942

OMG! What an amazing photograph!
    In my growing up world, boiler makers and pattern makers were the gods of the industrialized world.
    Without them; no locomotives/railroads; no steamships; no anything…
    What they created with, literally, their bare hands, was art; a symphony, an orchestra of creativity…
    The best of our world came from them; the worst from something else………….

zerosum
    Participant

• UK Extreme Poverty, Destitution On The Rise (G.)

Let’s compare …. Greece? ….. or all of the arab spring countries
    Maybe compare with the countries that use to be part of the british empire
    Countries that are the enemies do not count …. N. korea
    Maybe, a comparison with any migrants to any country would be more accurate.

When the brithish people leave the island and become migrant then it will be time to be concerned about destitute people.
    Hum? Its not going to be like the irish leaving. There is no place left to invade.

zerosum
    Participant

@ V. Arnold
    Let’s not forget ….
    Power engineers operate, maintain, and manage industrial plants that use equipment such as boilers and refrigeration units. In every Canadian province and territory, only certified power engineers are permitted to operate such equipment.

OMG! What an amazing photograph!
    In my growing up world, boiler makers and pattern makers were the gods of the industrialized world.
    Without them; no locomotives/railroads; no steamships; no anything…

It’s a portrait most of all of knowledge lost in my view. These guys learned on the job, not in a school, and they had great teachers: on-the-job engineers who learned from on-the-job engineers. Reminds me of how amazing it is that our grids still function, with older engineers retiring at a rapid clip and the systems consisting of parts that are decades old if not 100 years.

I remember when I was living in Montreal they attempted a redo of the water system because 40% of water was lost, and they found ‘pipes’ still made out of wood.

All this stuff, water, power, is very vulnerable because only those who’ve worked it all their lives know what is there and what it’s made of.

zerosum
    Participant

Raúl Ilargi Meijer

I agree.
    Emergency management manuals do not replace the old farts.
    There are emergency manual sitting on shelves, everywhere, for all kinds of situation.
    Nobody has read them enough to be able to put them into operation.
    Imagine if those manuals were on the web and there was no web available and no old farts.
    Imagine a room full of people “not my responsibility” etc.
    Guess what ….. that is what has replaced us old farts in too many functions.
    Guess what …. my plan A does not depend on the next generation.

V. Arnold
    Participant

zerosum and Ilargi
    True! All of it; true.

Who can step up to and use manual verticle mills, horizontal mills, jig mills, lathes, tool grinders, planner mills, and even “simple” drill presses? Read machining blueprints?
    I can.
    I look back and see there is nobody there…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.