Debt Rattle Jun 14 2014: The Busted Myth Of War And Growth

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle Jun 14 2014: The Busted Myth Of War And Growth

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Russell Lee Flood refugee in schoolhouse at Sikeston, Missouri January 1937 A strange point of view is expressed in George Mason University economics
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle Jun 14 2014: The Busted Myth Of War And Growth]

Ken Barrows
    Participant

I propose that TAE ignores all articles that mention growth without referencing debt. Dr. Tyler Cowen’s musings regarding our predicament are irrelevant. Without them, policymakers would still make ass backwards decisions. And the NY Times gets less relevant by the day, too.

John Day
    Participant

Richard Heinberg has a very good look at our societal adaptations over history to resources, and our ability or inability feed ourselves and grow our societies, cultures, religions, armies, and so on.

Want to Change the World? Read This First

For every complex and thorny problem, there is a simple and direct solution (which is wrong).
    We have lifetimes of grinding effort, every day, every meal, every need of ourselves and our families and friends ahead of us.
    Somebody could just start pushing big red buttons and end it all.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

The economy will improve, but only if we all start shooting (more) heroin.

Of course, I’m speaking from the standpoint of the heroin pusher’s economy, but doesn’t that go without saying?

Everything the government does generates winners and losers. I suppose it goes without saying why it’s nearly always left unsaid who the winners and losers will be.

allcoppedout
    Participant

War is linked with economic growth. This says a great deal about the genius of economists and politicians. The growth is, of course, the wrong growth. The wars are the wrong wars. Why not have a global war on want to establish genuine democracy everywhere? I know most dismiss such as ‘idealism’, but we there may be something in ‘war organisation’ we dismiss too quickly because we abhor the violence and utter squalor of war.
    Economics as we have it is clearly rot, part of an already out-of-control international competition. It is easy to sloganise we should ‘mobilise for peace’, yet this is something of a declaration of war itself. We could clearly move to ‘positive money’ with direct project organisation and control without money issued as debt. Even this is a declaration of war against inherited privilege and wealth – and we would have to pay attention to the failures of state capitalism.

E

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.