Debt Rattle June 24 2018

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle June 24 2018

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Ivan Aivazovsky The Ninth Wave 1849   • Mueller’s Fruit of the Poisonous Tree (WSJ) • Refugees Now Make Up 1% Of The World’s Population (Wef) • T
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle June 24 2018]

V. Arnold
    Participant

I absolutely love Ivan Aivazovsky’s The Ninth Wave 1849
    Spellbinding…

V. Arnold
    Participant

CJ is on fire with this one;
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-06-23/johnstone-anyone-promoting-regime-change-iran-evil-piece-shit
    She’s fast becoming my go to, first read of the day…

She’s starting to lose me with her language. The discussion slides down into name-calling. It shouldn’t, because then it’s over. Civility is important, especially when talking about (and to) those who lack it. I’m no fan of Rachel Maddow, but I would never refer to her as a “soulless bitch”. Nor would I ever call anyone an “evil piece of shit”.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Raúl Ilargi Meijer

You bring up some salient points, I hadn’t thought about.
    I think you are correct to call that out, now that you bring it forward.
    Civility on the intertubes is oft lost in the maelstrom; it’s too common and I need to pay attention to such for myself as well.
    I appreciate that heads up, good call.

V. Arnold
    Participant

In another corner, the woman has a pair 😉
    She also has a podcast;

Which I’ve yet to listen to; generally it can be a window into who she is.

Turfkiller
    Participant

“Two lawyers in the WSJ warning that the FBI had so tainted the process, Mueller should at a minimum pause his investigation.”

2 lawyers with an opinion and the investigation should be paused? Well, of course, stop the wheels of justice!

Trump is acting so guilty, the only thing he hasn’t done yet is hanging himself.
    Trump tweets about the “witch hunt”

May 2017: 3 times
    June 2017: 5 times
    July 2017: 6 times
    Oct 2017: 1 time
    Dec 2017: 2 times
    Jan 2018: 1 time
    Feb 2018: 3 times
    March 2018: 2 times
    April 2018: 9 times
    May 2018: 20 times
    June 2018: 22 times

What happened between April and May?
    FBI raid on Cohen was in April.

The Automatic Earth? Nothing to see here, move on.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Turfkiller
    The Automatic Earth? Nothing to see here, move on.

Interesting logo, turff killer.
    Well troll; please do move on…

Turfkiller
    Participant

It’s clear Trump wasn’t worried until Cohen got caught. But hey the AE points out that 2 lawyers, the only American citizens except for Fox News with a license to lie have an opinion and thus the wheels of justice should halt.

V. Arnold, you are just a participant like I am and this is a public forum.
    You got anything other than names and accusations?

Dr. D
    Participant

This literally following the last essay on how the media lied more or less entirely about the news all week.

So, in a case like this, where everyone appears to be lying, we are all awaiting court-admissible evidence. As I’m sure you can guess, my impression in a media/bureaucracy tag-team that’s headed two years of continuous leaks, that if they haven’t leaked anything material, there’s not enough to find. How, I don’t know, as they’re generally all dirty – it’s possible Mueller is playing us. In fact, until evidence is confirmed in court, everything’s possible, but that’s my impression. …Not helped much by a week of pretty much straight-up front-page lies and spin, happily ignoring a very real crisis and a very real cause.

So with Cohen, yes, erasing some 500? years of attorney-client privilege, and pretty much all norms…which again, due to lack of leaks, looks like desperate fishing…probably got Trump’s goat. In fact, knowing that MY attorney can be searched next time I’m in legal trouble gets my goat too. Thus the rise in tweets, which are a fairly irrelevant distraction in the first place. Do tweets make anything real happen? Who went to jail or passed/enforced a law on a Tweet?

…And that they seem to be happy not only to permit the government to end attorney privilege (if it’s my enemy), to imprison, torture, and probably kill journalists (if it’s my enemy), to maintain complete NSA surveillance (if it’s my enemy), and to place informants in the oppositions’ campaigns (if they’re my enemy), somehow not thinking that maybe, just maybe, with “The Enemy” ™ in power, approving and applauding such behavior would direct Trump to do these things, tip democracy, and stay in power forever. I’m shocked he hasn’t, but since everything is a state secret, how would I know? Thanks to the Democrats loving it so much, maybe he’s decided to.

In any case, when you’re on the out, maybe you should consider STRONGER rule of law, STRONGER protection of attorney privilege, STRONGER defense of journalists and dissidents, STRONGER support for 1st and 4th amendments (and even the 2nd), and STRONGER Congress, and WEAKER, far weaker surveillance, weaker executive, weaker bureaucracy, smaller government, intervening in far less, leading to personal and local power and responsibility. Because setting 500-year precedents to make the President stronger, with fewer remaining limits of power, seems like a bad idea right now. …What’s more, you’re lucky he didn’t jump on this precedent and search the law offices of every congressmen, governor, and judge. Don’t go there. Don’t go back and forth in partisanship and discard all procedures of law. What happens is not good.

That’s why I think he got steamed over Cohen.

“And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned ’round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country’s planted thick with laws from coast to coast– man’s laws, not God’s– and if you cut them down—and you’re just the man to do it—do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of law for my own safety’s sake.” –Thomas More, A Man of All Seasons,

Professorlocknload
    Participant

@ V. Arnold, perhaps of interest. This guy has depicted the essence of the sea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Aivazovsky#/media/File:Aivazovsky_Ivan_Konstantinovich_Bracing_The_Waves.jpg

Professorlocknload
    Participant

Aside, it looks like politics is doing what politics always does,,,it stirs controversy and tweaks perceptions. Must be an election year.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Professorlocknload
    Great find; fantasic, thanks.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.