Debt Rattle March 9 2020

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle March 9 2020

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author

• ‘Fake Wealth’ Set To Pop (ABR) • Global Markets Plunge 7-8%, Oil Falls 30% To $30 (G.) • Goldman Cuts Brent Forecasts To $30 On Price War, Vi
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle March 9 2020]

oxymoron
    Participant

But hang on, I thought the dems wanted the next president a woman.
    Still no toilet paper at the super market. I was chuckling looking at the huge empty space in the consumer vortex, however a reasonable young woman of about 20 was not as impressed – but it was even funnier because we both knew as we stood there we were thinking about poo and our toilets and what was missing as interface between them. I have a wife and two kids – 2 and 10. I have in the wood shed about 2 years worth of newspaper the council shoves in my letter box so luckily I have the composting toilet.

Dr. D
    Participant

“oil plummeted 30% to $30.”

Yaaaaaaaaay!!! Too bad I can’t buy more. Might come in handy.

Btw, 1,200 Dow points is nothing anymore. Remember when it dropped 1,000 back at 10k? Yeah, now we’re at 30. So it’s still 1/3 as serious as then. They’ve been lulled by the bots rigging it such that even 200 is considered a big deal. Not. To equal ’08 it would have to drop 3,000 points a day, and have the trading halts kick in.

““These are truly dangerous times for all investors, but particularly for those holding large amounts of overvalued equity and property assets at fake economy prices.”

Certainly could say this every day for the last 30 years, and I have. Meanwhile real things like wheat and gas have never been cheaper. So your shelves are stocked, right?

Putin stopped supporting MbS. Isn’t that a good thing? How much do we like MbS?”

No idea what’s going on there anymore. Turkey either. Probably somebody knows, but it’s all a double-double blind, double-cross double-reverse I’ve lost track. Let’s make it easy: They are killing people. That is bad. Stop.

“This resiliency of the consumer will once again support equities

Bunch of problems. Sure, yes, the consumer came out in force, emptying his bank account. Only to buy toilet paper, not Teslas right now. However, there hasn’t been a connection between sales, retail, economy, debt, and stocks in a generation: 20 years, since 2001. Why start now? He didn’t notice? You’re fired.

“Even before the virus, Britain’s reality is devastating”

Maybe now with the Virus, they’ll finally care? Since the government will be kicked out of it and go back to neighbors helping neighbors, I suspect so. We’ll save 60% up-front dodging bureaucratic waste.

wait for a less packed train”

I knew de Blasio was stupid, but this really takes the cake. I’d say he’s anti-science, but that would require understanding any sciencing to begin with. Ah, but what did I just say about government? On the plus side, I’m sure he’s been to a recent conference just like AIPAC and will join the people shortly, an equal-opportunity virus.

According to Varoufakis we should throw all borders open and not allocate resources? Maybe do it via central planning the way the WHO and de Blasio have? Brilliant! Tell you what, Yanis, take the door off your house and I’ll stay there while I’m ill until this whole thing blows over. What no? There are rules? Huh. Rules for me but not for thee, I reckon. You can do what you want with my resources, but I can’t do what I want with MY resources.

Covid-19 may have pricked a bubble that was going to burst anyway.”

Yes, and whose cycle time was up to the day. It didn’t need a pin.

“Tyre Wear Produces 1,000 Times More Harmful Pollution Than Car Exhausts (BW)”

Another plan for me to live in caves while they buy 5,000 foot mansions at sea level. And I bet the death rate they will cite for this used-tire-dust is greater than Coronovirus. Almost everything is. And no one cared.

Who’s Fiona Hill? I’ve given up listening to idiots and liars for lent.

“The Russians didn’t invent partisan divides. The Russians haven’t invented racism in the United States,” Hill said. “But the Russians understand a lot of those divisions, and they understand how to exploit them.” So do the GOP and DNC, and they spent 16000x the “Russian” $10k in the ’16 election. Ah but #Facts. Why bother? Bernays long since showed facts matter least of all things on earth. Only the feels. And to her other point, we may seem divided, but Congressmen aren’t shooting pistols at down and beating each other with hickory canes in Congress, much though that might be wished. We could power a small city with the Pay-per-view.

It was unclear how Russia was attempting to help the Vermont senator.”

Yeah, pretty “unclear”. And how Russia backs everyone in the race on every side, who hold every possible policy, including active Army Majors, even and especially ones that surround them with nukes, attack their allies, and embargo them as an act of open war. Because #AntiLogic! Our god.

“Biden’s cognitive decline.” What decline? He just doesn’t know his name, what campaign he’s running, or who his wife and sister are. Shouldn’t matter. The President hasn’t run anything important for decades. Clearly we should run an 80 year old with 5 heart attacks who can’t stand up for 30 minutes rather than a 40-year-old decorated woman-of-color Army Major centerfold surfer. That’s just common sense!

…You run out of words after a while. That is the point, of course. Of corruption, of injustice. The crooked abuser idiot sons of idiot sons can prosper only by attacking justice, because otherwise they would immediately sink to the bottom of the toilet where they belong. It’s only buying their way into Yale, to collude with other idiot sons that anyone would employ them at all.

But it so discourages the rest of us that we don’t defend the system, and therefore tolerate, encourage, condone injustice, abdication of duty that makes their lives possible. And makes our lives impossible. But it’s only because you all love injustice and won’t expose them, ridicule them, prosecute them, that they can get to a point of such immense and dangerous illogic. Then when they finally present their populist demagogue, the Final Solution from daddy government if only you say “Caesar is God”, you’ll be helpless, but the answer won’t come from him but yourself. Only from your own honestly, your own work, and your own religion, to choose #Logos over chaos, to choose work over theft, hard truths over comfortable lies. You can start anytime. This is your invitation.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Went to Costco yesterday. (Portland, OR area)

We took a shopping cart off the hands of a couple just finished loading they’re car.

“It’s OK, we sanitized it,” she said.

Inside, business as usual, no sanitation kiosks or face masks.

But no TP or sanitizers either. A run earlier this week had taken it all.

I see no scientifically unambiguous evidence that convinces me that the DNC wants to win the presidency. They have the perfect scapegoat and are scared of their own candidates.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Oh fucking hell; what’s the bloody point?
    Its all gone to hell in a hand basket, no????????????????

oxymoron
    Participant

Clearly we should run an 80 year old with 5 heart attacks who can’t stand up for 30 minutes rather than a 40-year-old decorated woman-of-color Army Major centerfold surfer. That’s just common sense!
    Nope, you are not running out of words.
    If you were a Jazz musician I’d tell you to write pop songs Dr D. You got licks for days.

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Something Raul pointed out yesterday that I so rarely hear articulated on this matter: this is NEW. It is ON TOP of other existing problems, pathogens, assoicated death rates/hospital stays.

This is a NEW takeaway. A new bill placed stealthily, cryptically, and literally unstoppably on us by biological reality.

No, people can’t die twice. But people that didn’t die before can and will die now. More will die than before, and like most deaths, cause an incredible amount of disruption.

I think everyone here agrees that they see no way for the global camel to withstand even one more straw on its back. This is a straw. The fact that it sits stop older heavier straws doesn’t negate its new additional and unbearable weight.

In one sense, I welcome the sense of helplessness this will cause as people realize that The System is more the cause than any cure for the virus. It will humble some of us. But who wants philosophy when they’re busy freaking out?

NYSE halts trading after DOW falls 1,800 points

V. Arnold
    Participant

Cowards…

zerosum
    Participant

Circuit breakers

• Charities Preparing To Feed Children If Schools Shut Over Coronavirus (G.)
    Panic buying, there is no food left for the poor, and charities

“buy the dip” – Quick, lend me some money

Cowards…

No, that’s a circuit breaker, halts trading for 15 min, or 30?! Then trading resumes. DOW now down 2000. I don’t know what the next limit low is. It could break it again, though. Everyone’s covering their shorts, I guess, because gold doesn’t profit.

Let’s just call it spring cleaning.

sumac.carol
    Participant

Dr. D you make me laugh and cry all at once.

MSCI All-Country World Stocks Index is down 5.3%, on the worst day since December 2008. The move has wiped out roughly $2.5 trillion in value of global stocks

Wall Street guy GreekFire23 says:

Remember when the Fed did an emergency rate cut last Tuesday? Good times.

Trump is playing golf.

zerosum
    Participant

The gov. must be lending money for the gamblers to place their bets at “buy the dips”

Sort of on topic:
    There is a pretty little lake where I live. We have a slip on it, and the water is so clear you can see 15 ft down. It won’t stay that way. A beautifully built, very old 3000-5000 sf mansion on a densely wooded lot is a “tear-down”. The new ones (90% of which have a @&!%ing TURRET or two on them) are 15,000–30,000+ square feet of architectural goo. They are rarely occupied by anyone but the help, with the groundskeepers diligently poisoning and fertilizing the many acres of perfect grass, which covers the murdered roots of 200 year old oaks. The milfoil and algae are doing very, very well, except on their thousand foot shoreline boulder-scaped beaches, which they also poison.
    I gotta think they (or rather the LLC “persons” that own them) are not happy right now.
    Schadenfreude! It’s what’s for dinner!

They will walk away from these monstrosities when things go south. They couldn’t possibly be attached to them. Or they could become sanatoriums…

Pet My Legs.

(Joe Biden his time in 2020)

I will now try to revert back to the sort of nice person I usually am.

lasttwo
    Participant

a couple of years ago we bought a bidet seat – paid for itself in less than 6 months. Some of them even come with blowers. My wife cuts up old towels to wipe the water off. we now have them on every toilet. rarely buy toilet paper anymore. A 60.00 bidet will pay for itself in no time. I really dont know why more people dont use them. that really goes for heat pumps and solar panels too. Heat pumps save a ton of money even the guy who used to supply our firewood has one now. and solar panels vs < 1% government bond WTF our first year in we saved $2300 on a 16000 investment.

Sanitizer is rubbing alcohol and aloe vera gel – the alcohol is what matters on not in.

Maxwell Quest
    Participant

“‘Fake Wealth’ Set To Pop (ABR)”
    “Global Markets Plunge 7-8%, Oil Falls 30% To $30 (G.)”

My boomer friends are all in lather because their paper wealth has taken a hit the past few days. This, after sitting back the last 10 years as it doubled and tripled with no effort on their part. It almost made me sad. The wealth gap is not a problem for them, you see.

“Plummeting Oil Prices And Mortgage Rates Could Boost Consumers (CNBC)”

These are paid financial cheerleaders, so you can ignore whatever they say. Better yet, do the opposite and you’ll be better off.

“Leaked Italy Quarantine Plans Create Chaos, Threaten To Spread Virus (ZH)”

Does this remind you of what happened when China announced the Wuhan quarantine? Anyone who had another place to go made a run for it. America no longer accepting flights from China? No problem, just fly to Thailand first, then catch a flight from there.

“Fiona Hill Says Putin Has America ‘Exactly Where He Wants Us’ (CNN)”

Is it some sort of psychosis, or is it just the money. Sometimes I wonder when I read such nonsense. Do these normally intelligent people really believe what they are saying, victims of their own propaganda like the 100’s of their own viewers, or are they gutting out their jobs for the paycheck until something more socially responsible comes along, like a marketing position at Philip Morris?

Seeing this pandemic approaching a few weeks back, while the media was doing its financial duty by suppressing any mention of it, I picked up a few more masks for my TV watching friends who would be caught flat-footed when it hit. Made the decision the other day that when things get hot here, they’ll be donated to the local hospital.

lasttwo
    Participant

the DNC is blind – and stupid. They are going to bring back Kamalla or Hillary to run as Bidens running mate. I hate what trump is doing to the environment and he is terrible but I still may protest vote for Tulsi or Bernie of both of them together. So tired of the war politics. I think Biden may be senile. Trump is not all there either. Maybe Tulsi stays in and wins by default. Corona + 2 old fart = 1 actual patriot for president.

Spend a minute and look at the death age of the virus. I think it may stand for –
    C ull the
    O ld people
    V irus .
    I nsure the younger
    D emographic under

Just imagaine what could have been done with the trillions spent. Watch 68 Whiskey. just saying.

WES
    Participant

I saw a comment elsewhere saying Congress should be shutdown due to the high average age of its current occupants and that if any of them got the coronavirus it would be worst than the stock market crashing!

On the other hand, for all of the reasons given above and more, Congress should be forced to stay open!

lasttwo
    Participant

They cannot let Tusi debate she may make both of them look senile. Look what she did to Kamilla Harris. I sent her money just to keep her in and tallking about the stupid war policy but the elite will not have it. no one will cover her except fox and they are doing it for the wrong reasons.

WES
    Participant

LastTwo:. Since Hillary is the DNC’s election theatre director, she will let you know who you can vote for!

Maxwell, don’t overestimate the brain power of the likes of Fiona Hill. They can phrase coherent sentences, but they are followers, that whole diplomat corps we saw testify with her, they don’t owe their power/position/pay due to original thought. And at some point they start to believe what the CIA/FBI says about Russia, evidence be damned.

People who are not accustomed to thinking for themselves rule our societies. They’re what the systems select for.

WES
    Participant

For the folks who are all worried that the DNC don’t know what they doing, relax!

The DNC folks know exactly what they are doing!

They are merely trying to save their own jobs!

Worldometer just reached 4,000 deaths. Italy added another 1,797 cases and 97 deaths. 100 deaths a day on average…That country did a number of things very wrong. But I don’t see other governments having learned much from it. They all react when it’s already too late. That is a problem at least as huge as the virus itself.

zerosum
    Participant

Regular holiday
    Spring Break 16 Mar 2020 (Mon) 27 Mar 2020 (Fri)

WES
    Participant

In Canada, health officials are in complete denial about community spread of the coronavirus!

The virus has hit two retirement homes, one in Vancouver, and the other in Toronto!

One has died in Vancouver. Still no community testing!

Canada’s case numbers are completely fake!

It is still … Don’t Test, Don’t Tell!

The media is all about praise for government actions!

None of the media are asking the right questions!

John Day
    Participant

I’ve been working a lot since I posted Thursday (medicine and vegetable-gardens), which seems like a couple of weeks in viral-time.
    Friday at my real-job, seeing patients, I was greatly heartened to hear that the City of Austin canceled South By Southwest music festival for spring-break.
    Finally, somebody does something appropriate and not-too-late! I am proud of Austin.
    Everybody in Austin seems to “get it” now.
    People’s Clinic has enacted some new screening and patient flow protocols, not the ones we need, with screening in a tent in the parking lot, but an interim step, what we could do within the bureaucracy-as-it-exists. I think we will move to parking lot screening and cellphone waiting in cars soon.
    We still won’t catch asymptomatic cases, but we will slow the spread, extend it over time, and hope to be able to handle it by just working a lot.
    http://www.johndayblog.com/2020/03/reset-in-progress.html
    Novel Coronavirus, the original S-strain and the more aggressive L-strain are released and spreading like wildfire, having jumped all the big waters and mountains from China to the wide world.
    Most people dispute that this is a military creation, perhaps from fear of ridicule. The facts are that most of the work done on the S-strain showed it to be about 95% like a bat strain, except that the whole 5% difference was never seen anywhere before, and existed in the section that binds the ACE-2 receptor in human respiratory and digestive tracts.
    That was no accident, and was never found in wild animals, because it was never there.
    The second L-strain coronavirus, the more aggressive one, that caught China partying unawares has that same exact binding site and spike-protein that lets it reach out and touch us so effectively.
    That site that makes it spread in people gets selected for success, is under selection pressure based on spread over time. Some areas are “neutral”, not really affecting infectivity. The L-strain differs by 17% in a neutral area, compared to an S-strain.
    That’s huge in viral time. It’s years of mutation and thousands of sequential hosts to mutate that much, but it came out a month after the S-strain, and it has the identical tissue binding sequences.
    Here in Texas some people mount horns from a Texas Longhorn on the front of their cars and trucks. The rest of the vehicle is a different vehicle, but they look the same after you mount the longhorns.
    That’s what happened with S-strain and L-strain. Different viral test platforms, maybe from different national labs, or the same one, got the same attack-sequence mounted on them and set out attacking Chinese people in Wuhan.
    Which sequence predominates in other countries?
    S-strain is more prevalent in China outside Wuhan, but what about in New York?
    https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/what-are-odds-timeline-facts-linking-covid-19-hiv-wuhans-secret-bio-lab
    https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/nsr/nwaa036/5775463#authorNotesSectionTitle
    https://ahtribune.com/world/3930-who-or-what-started-the-wuhan-coronavirus.html

zerosum
    Participant

@ WES
    “In Canada, health officials are in complete denial about community spread of the coronavirus!”

From watching the news, I get a different opinion.
    The talking experts are aware of community spread. So much, that they are aware that the health services are going to be overrun. BC has asked retired doctors to come and help.
    They are open about telling us where the most probable patients will occur. (Care homes, poor, sick, and health care workers.)

Community spread is suppose to mean “don’t know patient zero”.
    That can also be the case on a cruise ship.
    The advise is – don’t go on a cruise.

zerosum
    Participant

Hypocrites
    USA has the best system in the world
    As I listen to the market guru panicking I hear them proposing that their worst enemy, the government, should do something to save their paper fortunes.

Don’t lie. You heard it too. Listen for it you will hear …. corporate welfare …. hurry, give us money, give the heath system more money, etc.

sinnycool
    Participant

Dr D.

I reckon you’d get along really well with the Slog. He has a blog and a way with words that might appeal to you…

“I fell out of a Wuhan lab
    my mother was a bat
    I’m partly made of AIDS rehab
    or not at all like that.
    I’m either son of ’64
    along with LBJ
    Or mutant bio-dog of war
    made by the CIA.
    My deadliness is one in ten
    if you are 93
    or Black Death raised from way back when –
    let’s have some certainty…..
    for as you quiver in your beds
    and shrink from every sneeze,
    washing hands and taking meds
    to still the knocking knees,
    it’s time you worked out what I am
    by giving up on theories
    and screened out all the processed spam
    to view the data series.
    Scourge of mankind or Superflu,
    grown wild or manufactured –
    have I arrived to murder you
    or keep the plebs distracted?”

~ the Slog

WES
    Participant

Zerosum:. Yes, Canadian officials talk the talk, but notice they say nothing about what they are doing to address comminity spread! Nothing!

That is because they are facing a shortage of test kits too! Look at how few they have tested! Actually they rarely mention how many they have tested! And the media don’t ask either!

The cases in Alberta are still waiting for test confirmations from Winnipeg! Testing takes Manny’s days!

The only difference between Canada and the US, is Canada’s media are all toeing the government line!

This makes everything appear slicker in Canada!

In reality, Canada is not doing any better than the US!

We Canadians have been given a false sense of security!

Actually if you multiply Canada’s numbers by ten, since the US has ten times the people, Canada’s numbers are very similar to US numbers.

However, there is one critical area that Canada may do better than the US, is when more test kits become available, nobody who needs to be tested, is going to hold back, due to concerns over the costs of being tested. In the US this issue remains unasnwered k.

zerosum
    Participant

@ WES

You have heard me say, many times, that what I say does not influence the decision makers.
    My opinions are irrelevant.
    Let’s watch and see if our “better” can make better decisions than what we think.
    I’ve heard that BC is bragging that they have done +1,000 test when that was better than all of the USA

WES
    Participant

Zerosum: You are correct! My opinion doesn’t count either!

I suspect I am just a bit more jaded about Canada’s media than you are! I also started life in Quebec which didn’t help my outlook either! Then there was my very woke Father!

I also suspect another reason for my being so jaded, relates to the fact that I have worked in many different countries around the world. This certainly helped to open my eyes to things I would have been perfectly happy to have never seen!

I have been overseas when; the Shah of Iran was over thrown, the Falklands Islands War, the Congo civil war, the Israeli’s bombing Iraq’s nuclear plant, the USSR shooting down a Korean 747 airliner. All impacted me directly!

Don’t get me wrong! I still think both Canada and the US are two of the best countries in the world to call home! I just think they could both do better!

I certainly hope both Canada and the US are able to cope with the coronavirus!

After all, I have family in both countries!

John Day
    Participant

@ sinnycool:
    Good on ya for reading John Ward, the Slog.
    Here’s the link to that. I’ve posted his output here a few times, but not his poetry. He’s very good at getting that snake-of-a-language, English, to writhe in the most elaborate ways.

John Day
    Participant
    sinnycool
    Participant

Hi John, yes, a self-declared curmudgeon and cognitive dissident, he must have been one heck of an ad-man in his time. I don’t relate to his climate line but he’s a worthy read as an erudite social commentator that is for sure. 🙂

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.