Debt Rattle November 6 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle November 6 2017

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Salvador Dalí Figure at a window 1925   • The Next Market Cleanse Will Be Sharp, Deep, Fast (Peters) • Round-Up Of Saudi Princes, Businessmen Wid
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle November 6 2017]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Eric Peters gets points for style.
    Doesn’t he though.
    I thoroughly enjoyed his essay. Very imaginative in his delivery…
    He reminds me of Dan Simmon’s in his Hyperion trilogy.

Dr. D
    Participant

Catalonia — or its leaders at least — suddenly learned it takes more to gain independence than a flag and an iPhone. Much as I understand the impulse to a public referendum, it’s a very serious business and Jose Hevia is largely correct. There actually is a legal framework to secede which they did not follow. The drive was supported by Catalonian oligarchs looking for power and to avoid enclosing law. They didn’t have adequate public support and no contingency plan either as a coup, or for subsequent governance. Doing this is legally sedition and treason, and clearly so with good reason. Because if it were that easy and legal I’d secede my house and not pay taxes too if it only took a referendum of ME. History shows that no one secedes — ever — without force of arms that is long, ugly, and desperate, and possibly not without the lasting support of a powerful assisting nation.

Here in the United States, post-“Hamilton” I should hope we are up to speed on this. We know it took eight dark and crippling years, splitting of every church and township, thousands of men willing the die for a truly impossible cause, massive, widespread guerrilla arms, and the wealth and influence of France to win — and even THAT was terribly unusual, lucky occurrence. Followed by how rebellions inevitably collapse into military tyranny like Napoleon, leaving everything far worse than before, which was only avoided here because Britain was too busy and the Founding Fathers disliked and distrusted each other too much.

Whether Catalonia should be independent is not for me to decide. But I can tell you they did not treat it as a grave, desperate, hanging offense that would get half of themselves and a quarter of Spain killed in a Franco-style civil war. Seriously. Haven’t 40 years of entirely useless, unproductive protests shown you that it takes more than a rally and a headline to effect real change on power? You need to be excruciatingly, maddeningly legal and moral, diabolically serious, incredibly brave, and angelically long-suffering as a whole people to have even a chance of winning. It’s possible to find those things in yourself in the middle of an existing war, but I wouldn’t count on it. If you’re not going to bring that, stay home: you’re just going to get a lot of people killed.

I could say the same to Antifa. Do you have the resources it takes to accomplish your plan? Okay, suppose you win, then what? What’s your restoration of government plan after a violent coup? If not, please save your lives and stay home. And thankfully, so far, they have. We hope it is to effect change peacefully through legal and proper channels, which is the better way if at all possible.

“Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed.” True, dat.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.