Debt Rattle October 2 2019

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle October 2 2019

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Pablo Picasso Self portrait 1919   • Trump-Zelensky-Ukraine: What Is Really Going On Here? (OffG) • Kiev Agrees To EU-Backed Roadmap Aimed At Pea
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle October 2 2019]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Pablo Picasso Self portrait 1919

What’s interesting here (to me), is everything is blue except Picasso’s lips…
    Also, comparing self portraits at various times, not necessarily linear, is interesting as well.

V. Arnold
    Participant

“.. the longest expansion of the economy in US history..”
    • US Gross National Debt Up $1.2 Trillion in Fiscal 2019 to $22.7 Trillion (WS)

LOL!!! The U.S. measures economic health by the amount of debt it generated?

Gee, so, if we borrow $1,000,000 USD our household debt has shown an economic expansion of a bazillion percent…
    Of course this is non-sense; so, why do we swallow the whole hog? Because it’s not our personal debt?
    Oh wait; but it is “our debt”; but we’re kept from the genuine catastrophe; by a bullshit program called austerity; which affects every man jack one of us…
    Since you refuse to revolt; just suck it up!!!

boscohorowitz
    Participant

A society that measures economic health by the amount of excess consumption it sustains in ever-growing amounts would naturally equate growing debt with growing prosperity.

GDP as Garbage Dump Production

In the real world, one measures prosperity by how little one uses to sustain life. Waste not want not is the opposite of all prevailing economic theories.

By this measure , if we were on a spaceship, we’d measure prosperity by how fast we burned through our finite oxygen supply.

zerosum
    Participant

My turn to comment on ….
    ” but the longest expansion of the economy in US history. Over the last four quarters, the US economy as measured by nominal GDP (not adjusted for inflation) grew by 4.0%. Over the same period, the US gross national debt grew by 5.6% (not adjusted for inflation).”

First, Just to let you know, “I don’t understand why we still have a social/economic system that is functioning.”

I guess that makes me as smart as an economist and a talking TV expert.

I went to the wrong school with the wrong math teachers who did not teach me what happens with two different exponential growth and how to use MMT properly. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_Monetary_Theory)

I was never taught how to use other peoples money (scam) to live the rich lifestyle.
    That’s why I’m a grubbing rif-raf with dementia.

John Day
    Participant

http://www.johndayblog.com/2019/10/two-borders.html
    “Two Borders for Four Years” is BoJos Brexit offer. “Take it or leave it”, quoth he.
    It proposes that Northern Ireland will remain aligned with EU regulations on manufactured and agricultural goods for 4 years. He apparently has just enough support in Northern Ireland for this, and does not have support in Ireland. The trajectory is toward no-deal-Brexit, unless the EU capitulates from their hard line stance.
    Boris will certainly go to court, and could conceivably go to prison, but…
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/01/boris-johnsons-brexit-deal-breakdown-section/

Boris speaks to Tory Party Congress in Manchester, saying this is his best deal, it is a compromise on the part of the UK and that the EU must compromise in it’s turn, or there will certainly be no-deal-Brexit.
    He will not extend article 50 again.
    The European Commission said “they will examine the proposal objectively”.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49906702

John Ward is dubious that anything will actually happen for Brexit until the EU breaks up. The high-eurocrats are bound to be worried about the same thing. It should be clear that crash-out-Brexit is a huge threat to the EU power elites.
    OPINION: the British Establishment has lost all interest in our independence.

Kiev has agreed, in an odd multilateral signing process, to the 2015 Steinmeier Formula for devolution of Eastern Ukraine, Donetsk and Lugansk, into a separate autonomous entity, but with Ukraine formally controlling the border of that entity with Russia. This is unpopular among Uko-Nazis, who call for blood. Zelinsky is trying, and risking his life.
    https://www.rt.com/news/470014-ukraine-donbass-steinmeier-formula/

zerosum
    Participant

I just hear Trump mention ….

” …. treaty between Ukraine and the USA, signed at Kiev in 1998 and ratified by the US Senate in 2000. It’s an agreement on “Mutual Legal Assistance in Criminal Matters.”

Civil War On

Do you think that the media and democrats will realize that the music has stopped?
    What media will report it first?

Glennda
    Participant

Very good, bosco. That would make a great bumper sticker.

“GDP as Garbage Dump Production”

boscohorowitz
    Participant

Let’s print up half a million and do a sticker-blitz on cars in the junkyard, Glennda.

Me, I wanna bumpersticker what says: Stuck Bumper

Dr. D
    Participant

Zero: None, of course. They report the opposite.

Bosco: Excellent metaphor. If anything, we can correlate increasing GDP with public UN-happiness.

And obviously, to anyone who’s every looked at a single thing gov’t does, gov’t should be SUBTRACTED from GDP, not added. Unless you’re trying to kill people or steal stuff, everything they do is a failure.

Dr. D
    Participant

Why is Johnson still walking around there? Doesn’t he know the Supreme Court commands everything? He needs to set up his office in Middlesex Guildhall so he can quit fooling around and get proper orders.

“US House Committees Seek to Hold Line on Pompeo in Impeachment Probe (R.)”

For a change I have no idea where to put this. The Presidency executes the will of Congress, and therefore has wide oversight, yet when there is no law and no rules, there is no “obstruction” because everything at this level is political, not legal. Have at it, boys. See you in the election.

“Mueller concluded that Trump’s campaign had extensive contacts with Russians who mounted a sweeping effort to influence the outcome of the election in which Republican Trump was the surprise winner against Democrat Hillary Clinton. Mueller also revealed numerous attempts by Trump to interfere with his investigation,”

Reuters, really? Did you fall asleep in the Mueller hearing? Okay, what are their names, what attempts were made, and when did this all take place? Since you have a document and it’s reported every day, should be easy. I’ll wait.

There is such an administration cover-up that Barr is releasing all the documents related the Russia accusation, with a new thousand-page bundle a week until further notice. We can open source what happened and cut you out of the loop, as digital media is NOT even fit for bird cages.

“.. the longest expansion of the economy in US history..”

I wouldn’t say it was the largest expansion of the ECONOMY. More like expansion of the DEBT, and the lies that underpin it. We’ve been in a recession since 2008, and probably 2000.

“Chinese firms listed in the US are not currently required to abide by US accounting and auditing standards and the SEC cannot review them?”

That’s okay: neither are the American ones. Remember FASB changes in 2008? National Security. RussiaRussiaRussia. When it’s important you have to lie.™

Aaaaaaand FASAB, 2019, right after the $20 T R I L L I O N Gov’t side was revealed missing by U.Mich. But that’s alright: if you don’t like my lies, I have MORE LIES! That’ll fix it.

“Zuckerberg Says Warren as US President Would Be Bad for Tech (R.)”

Maybe, but she was “against’ the banks while taking record (Senate) money from them, just like Obama did, then authored a fake, toothless Dodd-Frank that was reversed whenever they wanted. I expect the same with Tech: harass them, and if they don’t pay, shake them down. That’s what government is for! That’s the whole POINT of regulating the economy. Zuck’s just mad because HE was going to shake WARREN down with blackmail obtained off his platform instead: he already banned her channel as a warning. I wouldn’t give a nickel for either of them.

And for maps, record snow Spokane, MT, UT, Alberta, Saskatchewan, headed east, 1 week after summer. Dangerous: leaves still on the trees, 60mph winds. Record snow Sweden, Finland, Russia. So I’m betting snow in the Sahara, Spain, Turkey, and Greece again this year. Rachael Maddow says it’s Russia’s fault. And they stole our North Pole.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.