Jackson Hole and the Appalachians

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Jackson Hole and the Appalachians

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Henri Cartier-Bresson Trafalgar Square on the Day of the Coronation of George VI 1937   The Jackson Hole gathering of central bankers and other e
    [See the full post at: Jackson Hole and the Appalachians]

V. Arnold
    Participant

Yes, “they” don’t know how to measure inflation!
    Seems to me, that as more and more people are unemployed, under-employed, and unemployable; that’s inflation!
    More and more people just can’t afford the things they used to buy; housing, quality diet, doctor visits, a car, a beer, and a decent pair of shoes.
    Isn’t that effectively hyper inflation?
    Damn sure it is!
    Time for a radical change in the measure of inflation; we’ve been so had, for so long…
    Wake up; time to die…
    Or get your life back!

Professorlocknload
    Participant

Instead of a radical change in the measure of “Inflation,” perhaps first we should correct the definition of it. Take the Happy Face off of it by calling it what it truly is. Devaluation of the Currency. Stealth Taxation, as it were, through a most disingenuous process.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

Borrowing from Stoneleigh, we find ourselves at the top of a tall ladder, frantically trying to add one more rung. And failing that, our overlords deceive us into thinking another rung’s been added anyway. But gravity eventually beats the feeble structure and the descent is long and horrifying, as we foolishly kicked out the rungs behind ourselves during our ascent.

Lucky for mankind, there are still a few hunter-gatherer societies around. Who could have predicted that THEY would be the way of the future, not the brave new technological world envisioned by Look and Life magazines back in the 1960s. At least Stoneleigh hopes to preserve agriculture, but even that level of civilization might eventually prove overly optimistic.

Steve St.Angelo wrote something a few weeks ago that impressed me almost as much as some of the things Stoneleigh’s written. He wrote, “Debt equals unburned energy obligations.” So, even if they add another rung or two to the financial ladder, it won’t matter. We will simply lack the EREOI to lift our bloated asses up onto it.

“If the thunder don’t get you then the lightning will.”

St.Angelo predicts a 5-10 year time frame before the EREOI hits the wall. Stoneleigh would have us use that remaining energy to replace the ladder rungs for our unhappy descent. But our overlords have a better idea. Let’s prematurely burn those unburned energy obligations on the military-industrial complex and war. Let’s not walk away from doom, let’s run headlong into it.

Would you still maintain that government – any kind of government — is a good thing? If so, don’t blame the Fed. Look in the mirror, chump. Dependency is something to work your way out of, not something to institutionalize and enshrine.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

You know, since I’m feeling so musical today, here’s another hint as to why men are wary of marriage. Marriage always involves three parties, one being the state, and most American women eventually find that when choosing between the two, their favorite partner is the state. After all, the state “cares for” their children. In so many ways, I might add.

I’ve long maintained that marriage is nothing more than promises made between two human beings. Not two human beings, two attorneys, some cops and a judge. Which makes me wonder why gays, et. al. are so interested in marriage rights. Clearly, it’s to enjoy that sacred and intimate bond with government.

anticlimactic
    Participant

I remember reading an article many years ago when inflation was high describing how the US and UK government changed the way inflation was measured in order to hide it.

From what I remember one technique was ‘substitution’, so if the price of beef went up it was substituted in the ‘basket’ by a cheaper meat.

Also, the concept of ‘functionality’. If the price of a car went up then it often came with new features which were given additional value so reducing the actual inflation figure. In a similar way new computers usually came with much more memory and disk space, etc., so in equivalent terms the price had gone down a lot even if it was the same price.

This caused a guy in the States to create ‘Shadowstats’ which tries to show real inflation and joblessness, which are far different than the official figures.

I have never heard of these governments changing their methods so they could be trying to determine inflation using methods designed to hide it!

I also remember reading about the importance of Trade Unions at the beginning of the 20th century. By increasing worker’s wages it meant they had some money to spend on non-essential items, spawning new industries and jobs, and so on in a loop.

Now I read that workers are likely to get no pay rise, or even a reduction, turning this loop into reverse.

I feel we are moving back to Victorian times. We will end up with the very rich and a small middle class to pander to their needs, with everyone else left to fend for themselves as best they can! [Almost there!]

Accidental or deliberate?

Patricia
    Participant

Wouldn’t it be wonderful if Jackson’s Hole imploded!

V. Arnold
    Participant

Diogenes Shrugged
    I’ve long maintained that marriage is nothing more than promises made between two human beings…
    Indeed, not a threesome.
    Here in LOS there are two types of marriage; the first is indeed between two people, in a Buddhist ceremony. After, either party can walk away from the marriage at any time for any reason with no further obligations.
    The second, which follows the Buddhist ceremony, is registering the marriage with the government. This incurrs legal obligations and a legal divorce. Many choose the Buddhist only marriage so their spouse has no claim on their wealth from before or during their marriage.
    Both are recognised as valid by society in general; I know many from both schools.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

V. Arnold,

Interesting. Thanks for that. Integrity seems to come naturally to some people, others have to work at it, and the rest need Mom to ride whip over them. But once they’re whipped, they at least tend to avoid Mom.

I searched LOS and only got references to the Los Angeles Country Club. Something tells me you don’t call a place like that home.

V. Arnold
    Participant

Diogenes Shrugged

LoL, no, I certainly do not. 😉
    Sorry; LOS = Land of Smiles = Thailand
    And it’s true; Thai’s smile everywhere one goes.
    By the way, Thailand is 95% Buddhist.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.