Navigating the Perfect Financial Storm with Nicole Foss

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Navigating the Perfect Financial Storm with Nicole Foss

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

NPC Magruder grocery at Connecticut Avenue and K Street in Washington 1925 The following is a repost from Vancouver Island based Carmen Spagnola’s Num
    [See the full post at: Navigating the Perfect Financial Storm with Nicole Foss]

Nicole Foss

This is part 1. Part 2 will be available soon.

adrian144
    Participant

Sorry if this has been covered umpteen times before, but is Nicole recommending that, cash being king and everything, you should be stuffing the mattress with banknotes, with the usual caveats that the government will think you’re a drug dealer, you’ll have security issues, and it’s no substitute for living in a sustainable community?

Nicole Foss

Being liquid preserves your opportunities. Being in a sustainable community is best though.

Greenpa
    Participant

Hi, Nicole! Ever since I read Jimmy Carter’s only novel a couple years back- “The Hornets Nest” – about the American Revolution in the South- I’ve been digging further back and reading about the various fiscal collapses in antiquity. Carter used his exceptional access to original documents as President to make public a number of very startling things. In the fiscal arena it was his analysis that the vastly wealth lords in England who paid for ships and shovels to establish the Southern colonies – intended from before the very first ship set sail to arrange monetary flow so that poor people would take these risks of high mortality – and then not be able to finalize their land ownership, so the land would wind up the direct personal property of the lord. It was set up that way- from the beginning.

Exactly as the flurry of unpayable mortgages recently were set up to default- allowing Owners to buy Detroit, and much else, at 1¢ on the dollar.

This also went on- exactly this- in Rome; as far back as we can see. Roman farmers would be conscripted into the army; kept from their farms for 5-10 years; their wives would not be able to keep the farm profitable- lenders would foreclose, the farm be seized as payment- and the army veteran soldier sold into debt slavery.

I’m quite sure you know all this. 🙂 My question : have you ever found a way to communicate effectively the historical depth of the problem? The vast majority of people today have no grasp of the realities of history; and don’t see it as vaguely relevant to “banksters today”. It makes a difference that the problem is literally ancient; and did not originate when this person became a sophomore in college.

Hm. Maybe a good movie series about “Undead Moneylenders!” – Monsters who survive from Sumerian times, feeding on the hopes of the poor…

Although I’m more interested in a serious answer. 🙂

Greenpa
    Participant

“Princes and governments are far more dangerous than other elements within society.”
    Niccolo Machiavelli

I want to get a copy in the original; I’ll have to learn to read his vernacular; but it has to be worth it.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

Yes, Greenpa, do read Machievelli, then counter it with Bastiat, “The Law.” The contrast experienced will top off the politico/intellectual part of the survival toolbox.

Though, after reading the short work of Bastiat, you will be left wondering why people run off to the polls every so often to vote for others to tell them how to live.?.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

Nicole, thanks for taking the time to present some very astute and clear thoughts and ideas re; the mess that misgoverned international societies find themselves in.

Has your predicted sequence of events changed any from the credit contraction-to-deflation-to-long economic winter scenario? Or do you now see a possibility of substantial devaluation first, coupled with inflation? Of course, both lead to the same conclusion, but the latter can certainly present different investment/survival choices.

Greenpa
    Participant

Prof- have you read him in the original 1500s Italian? Serious question; quite possible you have. I have a close professor friend who has spent years digging into European archives and insisting on reading the really-truly originals (and he had the credentials to get them) – and no real surprise; the great majority of translations were done with someone’s agenda twisting them. Over and over.

I have enough languages that I could probably read the original and get some sense of it; but certainly not enough to aim at even transliteration without a bunch of study on my part. But. I think it would be worth that effort.

V. Arnold
    Participant

@ Nicole Foss

Clear, concise, and simply said.
    Thanks.
    Would be really nice to have you do regular pod-casts here.

I do have one question: Banks are a problem (I use a credit union), so, what to do with cash? Sound like a time to embrace a good mattress…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.