Nobody Called Anyone An Ignorant Slut

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Nobody Called Anyone An Ignorant Slut

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Salvador Dalí The discovery of America by Christopher Columbus 1959   Let’s get one thing straight: Donald Trump is as American as apple pie (eve
    [See the full post at: Nobody Called Anyone An Ignorant Slut]

barnaby33
    Participant

Who peed in your cheerios today? There is no national character trait common to all Americans except possibly the Protestant work ethic. Trump is a reflection of a lot of hate an uncertainty, fickle elites trying to keep themselves afloat and a fundamental change in our economy/ecology. He is not a reflection of who we are as a people, because we aren’t a people.

Such simplistic reduction of 300 million plus people sitting on top of the most fertile soil on the planet with a good chunk of what’s left of it’s recoverable petroleum is simplistic at best. If it makes you feel better, go for it!

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

” … so worrisome it should make people think of leaving the country.”

Not being bilingual, I’m held back in spite of being told it’s unnecessary to have command of the native tongue in many countries. Trouble is, the first bestseller I read as a kid was “The Ugly American” by Lederer and Burdick (1958). It left a lasting impression. I know times have changed, but migrating to another country without thoroughly understanding the customs and language would strike me as being — at the very least — impolite. I know, I know. I should just go. Things aren’t that way any more …

No one else seems to have any qualms about being part of the problem, so why should I? An American with manners must be some kind of oxy moron. And to boot, if I stay here in the U.S., I’m going to have to learn Spanish anyway.

Then again, I’m not sure I want to be playing musical countries when the music finally stops.

Dr. D
    Participant

You’re right: he clearly has no resonance with the press or the American people, and almost everyone dislikes him, that’s why he was elected President.

Because he’s so entirely alien to America and it’s people, his comments have no impact, and are uniformly met with a big “Huh? Who cares?” We all ignore him because he just doesn’t push any buttons. In fact, it’s been a struggle just to get in the news.

Yes, it’s been quite a mystery how someone so foreign, so un-American-like, who was reported at a 30% approval rating after the election, who apparently 60% wanted impeached on the first day, somehow got the job by turning safe states that haven’t been lost in a generation.

Or perhaps that’s not what’s been happening? Maybe he knows the people and players of America well enough to attract attention and get the goat of supporters and detractors alike, chewing up the sacred cows into a spectacle of hamburger no one can turn away from? His antics seem to have a traction, a captivation, for better or for worse, with quite a few of that diverse body called “America”, and I think that’s the point here.

As for leaving the country, where would I go? Spain? Scotland? South Korea? South America? Seems the same wherever you go: trouble. And it’s meant to be. How else am I going to get everyone to give up their rights for my beautiful overarching “solution”(tm)? If I didn’t pay billions to insure the whole world was stirred up, violent, and broken, with people running everywhere, sensible people would ignore me, and then how would I become Grand Pooh-Bah of All the Earth, buyer and seller of your daughters? Don’t get distracted. They need this struggle. We don’t. Stick to your knitting.

John Day
    Participant

Much appreciated, Ilargi, and “you can’t please everyone, so you’ve got to please yourself”.I was born the year The Ugly American was published, and have lived and traveled abroad for several years on-aggregate. Yeah, Trump is an American, recognizable as such at any airport in the world. Why quibble unless you think you are to subtle to be tarred with the same brush. I have always been recognized as an American, when traveling. No big deal. Easy.
    What seems really important to me is not just that our owners/rulers don’t have a coherent narrative, by which to lead us to the branding chute and the slaughterhouse, but that they seem to be shooting it out at the OK corall, while the herd is wandering in every direction, with a huge thunderstorm darkening the sky, with lightning visible in the black clouds, a cold wind swirling in, and the first little drops falling.
    What happens next, hasn’t happened yet. I think it’s up in the air, and Trump being the disruptor of this huge criminal empire of chaos is probably the most that history can ask of the man. I sure can’t ask more…
    As an aside, I have less negative judgement against Richard Nixon than is routinely expected of me, less and less, the more I learn. He generally did what he could with a really bad hand, though he should have ended the Vietnam war sooner. I’m not sure he was allowed to. We assume he could have, perhaps wrongly…

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

I can’t provide a link; only a screenshot.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

Sorry, can’t even do that.

Diogenes Shrugged
    Participant

My attachment was over the 512 KB limit. It was something from Investment Watch dated around July 3.

To quote,

“Is the health insurance business a racket? Yes, literally. And this is why the shameless pandering to robber baron corporations posing as ‘health providers’ is such an egregious …. and obvious … tactic to do nothing more than plump up insurance company profits.

“And do you know who’s to blame? Believe it or not, the downfall of the American health insurance system falls squarely on the shoulders of former President Richard M. Nixon.”

I just don’t want you to get too carried away, JD 🙂

V. Arnold
    Participant

IMO, Ilargi painted a pretty accurate portrait of the U.S..
    As to leaving? I self exiled 8 weeks after the war criminal and murderer G. Bush launched his barbaric attack on Iraq and its people; it’s been forever war since 2001 attack on Afghanistan.
    What I’ve found since then, has been the myiad excuses from many I know about why they “can’t” leave the U.S..
    Usian’s seem to be masters of self deception and rationalization. Infantilized since birth by society and a corrupted forced educational system, that dumbs the society into impotency.
    The government of, by, and for the people is, just exactly that; Usian’s have the government they deserve and made for themselves.
    The sheer lack of curiosity is just stunning; an intelectual laziness that has killed their spirit.
    An illness has swept the land, infecting all, but a very few.

Nassim
    Participant

I think Trump is a foreigner’s idea of what Americans are like – a sort of caricature which contains some truth. However, when you get to meet Americans, people like Trump are a rarity. Maybe that is what the rich were like when they travelled around Europe a couple of generations ago.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

There, now, Ilargi,,,that is the stuff of some great journalism! Carry on!

V. Arnold
    Participant

As to where to go if one contemplates leaving; Russia and SE Asia offer a lot.
    If ones income is in dollars Russia is 57 Rubles to the dollar; Thailand is 33.3 Baht to the dollar. Very advantageous exchange rates, both.
    Last year in St. Petersburg the average wage was 15,000 Rubles per month.
    In Thailand it’s about 8,000 Baht per month.
    Attitude is everything; experience is what one gets from trying something new.
    Being polite and open to new cultures is the antithesis to the Ugly American.
    If one genuinely wants to understand a different culture; language is a critical component of understanding culture. If one genuinely cares, the language will come…

Hotrod
    Participant

Frickin’ used car salesman with big red clown shoes. Diarrhea of the mouth and constipation of the brain. Our money infused, corrupt system vomited up two candidates that represented NO choice.

Ex-PFC Chuck
    Participant

Re: “Of course the next issue must be that neither truly represent either party. They’re [Trump & Sanders} both ‘outsiders’ who’ve taken over existing -but failing- structures.

Not correct in the case of Sanders. He has the support of much of what had once been the Democratic Party grass roots, but not national party apparatus. Earlier this month the Democratic National Committee was purged of most of its Sanders supporters.

anticlimactic
    Participant

Another attack on Trump which has turned into a fiasco!

The enquiry was to prove collusion between Trump and Russia and ends up with someone briefly working for Trump with someone who was pro-Russian!

It looks really pathetic.

PS. Harvey Weinstein was a close friend of the Clintons. One article has claimed his downfall as a Trump ‘win’.

olo530
    Participant

Last year in St. Petersburg the average wage was 15,000 Rubles per month.

I doubt it, V. Arnold. This August the average wage 37,140 roubles. That’s for the whole country. One of the largest cities is probably above average.
    https://www.gks.ru/free_doc/new_site/m-sotrudn/eng_site/Key_Figures.pdf

Chuck, so they’re the same -more or less-, only Trump won his battle with the apparatus and Bernie lost his. Ergo, Trump purges the GOP and the apparatus purges the DNC. I would have liked Bernie, but that would not have been some glorious solution, the problem is much deeper.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.