Resilience is The New Black

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Resilience is The New Black

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Harris&Ewing Happy News Cafe, “restaurant for the unemployed”, Washington, DC 1937 This is another essay from our friend Dr. Nelson Lebo III in New Ze
    [See the full post at: Resilience is The New Black]

VisionHawk
    Participant

OK….perhaps it’s time to take a leaf from the Ghandi playbook….. passive resistance. Hurt those in the one place they care about – the bottom line.

Create a group called STOP !! ( Stop Tyrannical Other People) :))
    And just don’t BUY anymore – or as absolutely little as possible.

Do you REALLY need that bigger LCD screen? Or latest car/smartphone/tablet/whatever???
    Use the Voting Power of the Feet – and DON’T do anything.

Just STOP !!!!!
    Thank you…..

John Day
    Participant

Good points, Nelson. (By the way, we liked Nelson, NZ a lot when we biked around South Island in 2006, as a family.)
    There is the adaptation of the person/family/group, which takes some years also. It comes with making the physical changes, then discovering that one actually has a lot to learn about gardening, and the back and knee problems are a limiting factor.

Raleigh
    Participant

VisionHawk – “…passive resistance. Hurt those in the one place they care about – the bottom line.”

Couldn’t agree more. I am not buying anything I don’t need – nothing – other than food. I was in the meat section of a major supermarket the other day (it’s a huge section), and it was like I was in a ghost town. I was THE only one in that department. It was a week day, but still I couldn’t believe it. I see people just walking away because the prices are so high. Beef has doubled in price in the past two years, chicken has gone way up too. It’s enough just to try to feed your family, never mind buying anything else. I know I’m not alone.

You’re right, we don’t need any more stuff! We’re overflowing in it. My kids and I were talking about this, and they said everybody should be trying to “simplify” their lives, how they see having too much stuff just complicates a person’s life. I’m glad they see that at their young ages.

But, yes, I agree that the only hope we have is to hurt their bottom line. Starve these parasites.

LudwigVon60
    Participant

Time to have a coffee (and or a beer) together with Ilargi and Nelson, so let me know if you come to Europe guys !

Raleigh
    Participant

Nelson Lebo, I really enjoyed your essay. It seems that trying to promote anything to people, i.e. sustainable living, goes in one ear and out the other. People don’t want to hear about change, and they deny reality. Some magic technology will save them! As Dennis Meadows says, “This means that we are going to evolve through crisis, not through proactive change.”

Totally agree with that last statement. Nothing changes for the fun of it; things change because they HAVE to. Rivers change course because they are forced to. It is the way evolution works.

Good for you for looking after your family!

greenjenny
    Participant

Yes, let’s promote the idea of ‘Crash due to lack of demand’ as explained by David Holmgren’s in his essay ‘Crash on Demand’.

Ludwig, I am in Europe. Got back 10 days ago.

Jenny, and don’t forget Nicole’s Crash on Demand? A Response to David Holmgren. That completes the picture, as Dave would be the first to admit. We had a great time with him at the permaculture convergence in Tasmania in March. He’s the most graceful man.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.