Debt Rattle August 6 2022

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle August 6 2022

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    aspnaz
    Participant

Figmund Sreud said:

One aspect of U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s trip to Taiwan that has been largely overlooked is her meeting with Mark Lui, chairman of the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation (TSMC). Pelosi’s trip coincided with U.S. efforts to convince TSMC – the world’s largest chip manufacturer, on which the U.S. is heavily dependent – to establish a manufacturing base in the US and to stop making advanced chips for Chinese companies. […]

How is this being a friend to Taiwan? TSMC is a fabrication corporation, the technology that enables it to make the chips comes from the Netherlands. They take orders from many different customers, such as AMD, and making their chips for them: they have no chip IP and no fabrication IP, that is provided by the west. Taiwan buys billions in US weapons and now the US wants to take their jobs too?

Bill7
    Participant

There is one sometime commenter here who migh have head these:

https://forums.whathifi.com/threads/opinions-on-rogers-studio-1-please.18482/

They needed real good, well-controlled amplification, IIRC, though not a huge amount of power: a hundred watts up and down would work.
    Very nice speakers for vocals with small or bigger ensemble, could play loudly, but also could quite easily be overdriven. Relatively seamless through the crossover region (nice). I have not listened to new speakers for around thirty years, though.

Figmund Sreud
    Participant

@ aspnaz – How is this being a friend to Taiwan?

Who is suggesting a U.S.’s friendship towards Taiwan? It’s simply a matter of taking existing manufacturing plant(s) out of Taiwan to a low cost, west-friendly location, before mainland China re-integrates Taiwan back into itself.

This is very much alike, for example, when GM moved entire automotive assembly plant equipment – from Detroit – into Russia – virtually overnight – in the ‘90’s, … so Jimmies and alike SUVs could be promptly assembled there on cheap. As I recall, production in Russia was restarted within 6 months of equipment removal from Detroit.

Anyway, … as far as chip production in the U.S.? Just read press releases from Intel, … a snip:

09:44 AM EDT, 08/04/2022 (MT Newswires) — Intel (INTC) is nearing a deal to build an advanced semiconductor packaging and assembly plant in Italy, estimated to be worth $5 billion initially, Reuters reported Thursday, citing two unnamed sources briefed on the talks.
    According to the sources, Italian Prime Minister Mario Draghi was aiming to secure an agreement for the project by the end of August, before the country’s snap national election on Sept. 25. Reuters said sources have previously disclosed the government could fund up to 40% of Intel’s investment in Italy.

I bet you this plant, in Italy, is intended to be a re-located plant, otherwise, Intel and other chip makers claim it will take three to five years to build new chip plans from scratch, … and the funding would have come – 100% – from the U.S. taxpayers.

Note: Taiwan is home to the world’s biggest contract manufacturer of semiconductors, Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd (TSMC), and peer United Microelectronics Corp (UMC) . Those plants have to be relocated, pronto! It all started with Trump. U.S. weaponized semi-conductors vs China under the Trump administration!

Best,
    F.S.

John Day
    Participant

@Bill7 : i don’t recall hearing Rogers Studio 1 speakers, but i probably did. i hung out in so many hi fi shops in Japan and the us in HS and college. Here are nice pictures. Martin Collums spoke very well of these speakers, but they cannot be phase coherent, something i like a lot.
    Rogers Studio 1 Vintage Professional Speakers

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.