Debt Rattle December 13 2017

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle December 13 2017

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

MC Escher Relativity 1953   • ‘Buy the Dip’ Has Never Been More Popular in US Stocks (BBG) • Bitcoin Bears Soon Able to Short Futures Through Int
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle December 13 2017]

V. Arnold
    Participant

“.. the money that the Fed loaned to the US government (in exchange for a bond) was never there in the first place. The Fed prestidigitated it out of an alternate universe.”
    LOl; prestidigitated! The gods be good; I haven’t heard or read that word for decades; a wonderful word exactly describing today’s financial world.
    Ah, and then there is Facebook; my other thing to despise; the scourge of the 21st century; destined to be the ultimate end of civilisation; hyperbole aside, Facebook is evil; truely…
    This one at the heritage does not do, nor has ever done social media; aka facebook (full isclosure; did FB for about 1 year and bailed/quit, way more than a decade ago), twitter, snapchat, or any other…

oxymoron
    Participant

V. Arnold – re facebook, couldn’t agree more. That shit is evil. It’s like fiddling while rome burns when we could be looking for a bucket of water or leaving the building. The thing most people never seem to want to come to grips with is that it is okay to live a humble little life that no one has to know much about – except those closest to you and most of those should be within a few kilometres in a saner world.

V. Arnold
    Participant

oxymoron
    Thanks and yes indeed. A very private life is its own reward.
    The above by me should have read hermitage; not heritage, grrrrr….
    And a very few kilometers indeed, to our friends; few, but valuable beyond measure.
    Cheers

SteveB
    Participant

“Globalization automatically leads to Misallocation.”

And exchange belief automatically (i.e., inevitably) leads to globalization (and misallocation).

zerosum
    Participant

“… Belt and Road projects “aren’t transparent or consensus driven,” …”

Traditionally, the center builds roads etc. so that products can be delivered, (imports), to the center.
    I informed that there are consumers in China that need to eat.
    🙂
    I don’t buy the explanation that “the Belt and Road projects” are for making exports cheaper and easier for exporters.

zerosum
    Participant

There are some web pages where you cannot just “Click, copy, paste”
    Here is one of them for me.
    I found a way around..
    ps.
    I remember when the “experts” told us that the “one child policy” would result in a shortage of women and that it would destroy the Chinese social structure and its economy.
    The results shows that the “experts” were wrong.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/11/151113-datapoints-china-one-child-policy/

In 1979, the government introduced the one-child policy, under which most couples are allowed to have only one child or else face the possibility of fines, sterilizations, and abortions. Looking at just a half century of data on China, we can see peaks and valleys in the birthrate reflecting pro-reproduction attitudes, famine, and the one-child policy.

From 1959 to 1961, the Great Chinese Famine killed an estimated 15 to 30 million people.

In 2013, a relaxation of policy allowed over 12 million couples to apply to have a second child.

Only about 12 percent of eligible couples applied. When the one-child policy ends in 2016, most couples will be restricted to two children. But that may not address all of the issues. After decades of the one-child policy, coupled with new economic and social pressures to succeed, many couples have decided to stop with one child, or to not have any at all. So with a national birth rate well below replacement level of 2.1 and some urban birth rates under 1,

China faces a new challenge. How do they provide for an older population while also encouraging younger residents to have more children?

It’s Happening (Almost) Everywhere
    China is not alone in this dilemma. Low birth rates are also a product of personal choice, and the UN predicts we’ll see a considerably older world population by 2100. Countries including the U.S., Canada, Chile, Brazil, Russia, and Australia will likely reach a point where a quarter or more of their populations are above the age of 65, not working, and depending on a pension. On the other hand, most African countries, many former Soviet states, and large portions of Asia will remain young. But the younger populations of these countries won’t stop populous aging countries from reshaping the global population to the point that almost a fourth of all people on Earth will be over 65 by 2100.

Nassim
    Participant

“Arctic Permafrost Thawing Faster Than Ever (AP) ”

and

“Permafrost in the Arctic is thawing faster than ever, according to a new US government report that also found Arctic seawater is warming and sea ice is melting at the fastest pace in 1,500 years.”

This is clearly nonsense as the Vikings had a far warmer climate when they settled in Greenland than is currently the case. Later on, they died from hunger when the climate turned cold again.

Here is the latest on the situation in Greenland. It seems that 2017/18 is going be another cold winter like the previous one. Ice is settling much more for this calendar date than what was the average in the 20 years up to 2010.

Current Surface Mass Budget of the Greenland Ice Sheet

Seawater temperature is very dependent on currents and is not a good way of working out what is going on in the Arctic. Ice settling on land gives a much better idea IMHO.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.