Debt Rattle Jan 29 2014: Gutted Like a Fish

Home Forums The Automatic Earth Forum Debt Rattle Jan 29 2014: Gutted Like a Fish

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Arnold Genthe. Street scene with horse and wagon, Charleston, South Carolina 1920 On the political front, there are three clear battlegrounds in the w
    [See the full post at: Debt Rattle Jan 29 2014: Gutted Like a Fish]

Professorlocknload
    Participant

Could it be we are running out of other peoples money? Is Atlas possibly Shrugging?

Oh, well, we don’t need no stinkin’ savings, the gumnut will take care of us. Simply hand over your land and resources in exchange for security. All will be well. There will be free iShit and subprime car loans for all. We can jump in the 72 month financed SUV and text on the way to the circus, for free tickets and big mac’s.

And maybe those super productive egalitarian .gov employees, politicians and bankers we pay, including their pensions, to the extent we can’t save for our own futures, will be kind enough to share their largess with us some day?

Fat chance.

As in the rest of nature, when the life form is too old or lame to hunt, the fittest will survive. The same nature that bats last. Act on it….Or “hope” for change, it’s your choice.

I wouldn’t expect time to stop and wait for me to catch up, though.

One potential playbook, from 1849,,,,may we at least come back to haunt them, until the Bolsheviks do? https://www.classicreader.com/book/2026/1/

IanFraser
    Participant

Raul – I think you should get a better understanding of Thai politics before seemingly expressing an opinion.
    “In Thailand, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has found out that being pretty isn’t enough. In the run-up to an election this Sunday, which she forced through in spite of calls for a delay because she thinks she’ll win, bombs are going off on a regular basis, planted by protesters who want her corrupt clan to take a hike.”
    While I do think she is pretty, most Thais do not, she doesn’t conform to the Thai standard. The “pretty” and associated tags are used by misogynist, right wing, foreign (farang) commentators and I didn’t think you were in that category.
    It is not that she ‘thinks’ she will win the election, she will win as her party has for the last “x” elections. I think this would indicate that the majority of Thais are in favour of her government/party. The protesting minority would like to reintroduce a ‘feudal’ system whereby only the ‘correct’ type of person is allowed to be a ‘elected’. And to make doubly sure that only a ‘correct’ government is in power only half of the government is to be elected. The other half is to be appointed by ‘good’ people.
    There are some bombs going off as you say but you need to know that a lot of these are firecrackers. Something which doesn’t come across in the foreign media reports.
    Undoubtedly there is some form of corruption in the government, but isn’t that a function of government anywhere in the world? I don’t think it is any more corrupt and possibly much less than any possible current alternative.
    I ask you to please remove the ‘misogynist’ propaganda from your story.
    Thank you

John Day
    Participant

I think that’s succinct, Ian. I’ve enjoyed visiting Thailand since 1988, and “politics” there is like a somewhat damped civil war. There is live ammo being used agains separatist groups in the South, and the Bangkok elites don’t want any rural farm-trash having a say about anything.
    The populists who are elected by rural Thais are corrupt, but populist.
    The corrupt but elitist groups can never get a real majority, however they run the Emperor franchise.
    He’s a really long-lived king, and his eldest son is despised as scum.
    It will get way worse when King Bhumibol dies.

Ian,

I may at times paint with a broad brush, but so is my poetic freedom. Labeling the use of the word “pretty” misogynist propaganda is something I’m happy to leave sitting on your conscience. Personally, I think you’re lightyears out of line, but perhaps you think such is your poetic freedom. Rest assured, I would never throw such accusatory terms around as casually as you do. Still, since there is nothing even resembling misogynist propaganda, I can’t remove it.

Variable81
    Participant

@IanFraser,

Ian, I’m guessing you think democracy is a good thing? That the Thai majority knows whats is best for them and are not enticed/paid/cajoled/etc. into voting for the party that has won the last “x” number of elections?

I won’t disagree with you, but I will suggest you check this out before giving democracy its due…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato’s_five_regimes

It would seem that Plato saw democracy as the precursor to tyranny. The fact that the group who is trying to push for the “correct” type of people to govern is a minority does not suggest to me their views are wrong.

Perhaps we’d be better off here in the US/Canada too if we got rid of our political class and replaced them with the “correct” type of people (i.e. individuals with morals, integrity and a demonstrated history of sacrifice for the public good) – but I think you’d be hard-pressed to find a majority that both understood and supported the idea of having such people in place to govern us.

Cheers,
    Variable81

Rebecca
    Participant

To answer your question, people accept it because progress is really the ruling religion of the land today, and religions don’t have to make sense or be logical.

As for Ukraine, Russia forced the PM to take the deal by threatening to cut off the entire country’s supply of gas. The same protestors would be out in the street for a different reason if he hadn’t. I think the man was caught in a catch-22.

Professorlocknload
    Participant

@variable, what you suggest requires truth. Problem is;

“Statists and Politicians, unto whom Ragione di Stato, is the first Considerable, as though it were their business to deceive the people, as a Maxim, do hold, that truth is to be concealed from them; unto whom although they reveal the visible design, yet do they commonly conceal the capital intention.” Thomas Browne

https://penelope.uchicago.edu/pseudodoxia/pseudodoxia.shtml

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.